PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for Eastern Sierras?

cdm
10-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Hello All,

Heading to June Lake area on Halloween weekend.

Will probably venture to Crowley lake and Rock Creek area as well.

Any advice on fly choice/size and favorite waters or sections or areas?

Thanks for any input. Hate to admit it, but this will be my only fly fishing outing this year and would love to get some fish on.

Thanks in advance!

Scott V
10-14-2010, 07:27 AM
If you hear nothing here try posting your question on fliflicker, alot of the guys from that board fish that area and they are willing to share the info.

Have a blast I have heard the area is fishing good.

Kneedeep
10-14-2010, 08:27 AM
You might consider contacting member, David Neal.
I have found him to be very helpful.

WhipperSnapper
10-14-2010, 07:55 PM
If your going to Crowley area then you should try the Upper Owens.

jlrray
10-15-2010, 12:27 AM
I was just there recently and hot creek was on fire. Upper owens was doing well too! I was fishing some small #18/20/22 CDC caddis' with dark body, natural wing. That place is definitely caddis, caddis, caddis.. until its not then try some mayfly. You'll be hitting it at a ncie time. I'll probably head back there in a couple weeks too.

stanbery
10-15-2010, 05:14 AM
Going up today so will try to remember to paost back here when I get back.

Jon

WinterrunRon
10-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Contact info for Dave Neal... nice guy, fishy dude, lives/guides in Mammoth.

http://www.reelmammothadventures.com/

Dave Neal
10-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the kind words, fellas.

CDM I sent you a pm...

To anyone else coming this way...

Late Oct on our local lakes can be real hit or miss. It's getting down to freezing at night. Since you are staying in June Lake try fishing Rush Creek above/below Grant or one of the lakes, why not? It's really beautiful in there right now with the aspens turning.

I would never talk you OUT of fishing Crowley as any day out there can be great. But, it has slowed down considerably compared to a few weeks ago. There has been a fair amount of fishing pressure the last few weeks. The water is cooling down, the lake has dropped A LOT, no big weed beds, and the fish are all spread out and the midge hatch is tapering off. Again, you can still get lucky and strip perch fry pattern for a monster!

Crowley Marina closes 10/31, but you can launch a float tube anywhere, until the 11/15 closure.

Typically, in late Oct and early November Hot Creek (always, huh?) Upper Owens and Lower Owens are very good bets. Bwo mayflies can come off big time during cloudy, windless, days.

Two things to keep an eye on:

The Lower Owens is dropping in flow this week. It runs high (500cfs) all summer and when it drops in the fall it's like "opening day" as the fish have not been too pressured all summer and can be very active. Good hatches also. It will take a week or so for the aquatic weeds to die off (along with millions of cased caddis unfortunately LOL, Ralph) and the water to clean up when the release flows drop for the winter.

The Lower O is a great option when the weather turns sour! It will be 20 degrees warmer down in Bishop...

Also, the Upper Owens can be very good in late Oct/Nov and there are lots of big fish moving through right now. It will be easier to fish whenever DWP stops pumping so much water through the East Portal. It has been a bit higher for a longer period this summer.

Have fun and enjoy the fall color!!

Dave Neal
10-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Oops, double post...