PDA

View Full Version : PB trout on U. Owens and grounds for a divorce

Pimpinmeat
10-12-2010, 02:46 PM
We had to be in Reno this weekend for my sisters wedding so we decided to fish on the way up. After a lengthy delay in morning we finally get up to the Upper Owens. Weather was awesome, not many people out and we get may favorite section all to ourselves. We only had about 3 hours before we had to get back on the road so we suited up and hit the water.
I'm having a rough go at it, can't get anything to stay hooked. The wife on the other hand keeps hooting and hollering. She shows me a nice fall colored brown and I start to get irritated because she's caught a few already. I've lost 3 nice fish and only landed a couple of dinks myself. I start working a nice undercut with a indo and creation of my own tied on top w/ zebra dropper. All of the fish I'd caught ate the midge so I was losing confidence in my fly. I got a good cast in followed by a great mend that sends the fly drifting inches from the bank. I decide to let it go and the indo goes under with jerky sideways motion. Set the hook, think I'm snagged when the rod comes alive. When I first see the fish(rainbow) I start yelling for my wife to come over because it's a big fish and wanted her to see it. She looks over and keeps on fishing. I didn't matter anyways because the fish was taking me down to her. That fish went a 100ft down river which is a long ways in the Owens. I settle down in the pool she's fishing in when she get's a glimpse of what I have been yelling about and the mood changes. The net was barely big enough for the fish. We both just stare it in amazement because it's the biggest fish we've seen in the river and we fish the Owens a lot. I asked for the camera (and this is the grounds for divorce) and she say's " I left it in the car". I had to settle for a quick measurement on the net handle, revive it and away it goes. It measured 24" and was about 5lbs, my personal best fish in the Sierra's and I've been fishing there since I was about 18. I would have loved a pictures of that fish, it was an awesome specimen, fat and healthy with full fins. The highlight was this fish ate the fly I created. A picture would be nice but at least I got my wife as my witness I can live with that.

BillB
10-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Further grounds for divorce, "What fish honey?"

troutbm
10-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Very nice ! The upper owens is my all time favorite river.

bigfly
10-13-2010, 10:13 AM
PM, classic! You do have the "mental pics".
I'm kind of happy there is'nt a pic posted. Would set off a stampeed.
To many folks catching and having them over for dinner.
Glad "your fly" worked out. You could post that.......

Jim

JGB
10-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Uh huh. :rolleyes:

;-)

Pimpinmeat
10-13-2010, 11:15 AM
She's already done the "What fish?" bit when I while I was sharing the story.

As for the fly, I just pulled it out a pack last night to check it out. After I tie a couple more I'll take some pics to share. It just looks like a caddis nymph with some different flavor. I tied the same fly in a different color without the beadhead to use on the Boise river for steelhead and caught 3 so i Figured why not use it for trout.

Dave Neal
10-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Nice fish!

Fish the Upper Owens in the fall season enough and you will have opportunities for big fish! Most of the "up from Crowley fish" will be 16-20" but a few are larger...

One of the largest trout I have ever seen around here was in the Upper Owens in the fall. It was a brown trout and if we were anywhere within 100 miles of an ocean I would have believed it to be anadromous. Still haunts me to this day. HUUUGE.

Currently, DWP is still pumping water through the East Portal so the UO is quite high and fast. Whenever it drops (?) it will be easier to get drifts and swing flies.

Late Oct is usually a really good month!

I was on the Inaja Ranch the other day and saw lots of big fish in nearly every bend. Really cool water...