PDA

View Full Version : PFD Question

Bruce Berman
10-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Since I occasionally get myself into some hairy wading situations, I think it's about time I invest in an inflatible PFD. The "U" shaped ones look like they're the best, but I wear a fishing vest and even if I don't zip it up, it looks like wearing those PFD's under a vest won't work. If I wear it over my vest, I assume I won't be able to get into its pockets. Is a waist PFD my only option and if so, how well do they work? Thanks.

Bob Laskodi
10-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Yes, you can wear it over your vest. I have the SoS and can get into most of my vest pockets with it on. It's very easy to unclip to grab what you need then reclip when finished. .

Tfisher
10-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Just remember not to get the SOS jackets that auto-inflate when they get submerged.

Bruce Berman
10-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Hey Bob,
So, am I correct in assuming it should not be worn under a vest?

Scott V
10-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Your vest should be on top, never put anything over it.

Bob Laskodi
10-11-2010, 01:06 PM
<<<am I correct in assuming it should not be worn under a vest?>>>
I always wear my SoS as the topmost layer. Don't know how it would work out underneath something (sounds like a bad thing though!).

Bruce Berman
10-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks, guys.

shawn kempkes
10-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Just remember not to get the SOS jackets that auto-inflate when they get submerged.

why do you say this? I wear one all the time in the boat in all kinds of weather and have never had a problem. Just dont wade deeper than your waist and you are good to go.

Bruce Berman
10-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey Shawn,
From what I've heard, if you're wading and fall in the PFD can inflate when you don't want it to. I've fallen in in spots where all I had to do was stand up and I was fine. An auto inflatible would have inflated.

Cmcculloch
10-11-2010, 10:17 PM
I didn't see an answer to your question about the waist PFD's. I got one but don't carry it. You need to inflate it and then put it over your head. Sounds easy when you are calm, but probably more tricky when you fall in the fast and deep stuff. Also mine was a bit tight to get over my head and would probably knock glasses off in the process. But overall good insurance and much better than going without one at all. And if you never need it who cares if its a bit tight.

briansII
10-12-2010, 09:54 AM
You can buy fishing vest with a built in, inflatable PFD. Mustang and SOS make some.

briansII

Tfisher
10-13-2010, 08:41 AM
why do you say this? I wear one all the time in the boat in all kinds of weather and have never had a problem. Just dont wade deeper than your waist and you are good to go.

While I too have worn those vests in all kinds of weather while working in the Delta, if you accidentally submerge the membrane, you auto-inflate the vest fairly easily. I had this happen once when I was trailoring the boat and leaning off the bow, I shifted my weight, a small portion of the vest got submerged, voila instant life vest! I imagine that someone walking around wearing one while wading would have a better chance of accidentally setting it off while stumbling around uneven ground, hence my comment. Its simply not worth the hassle of getting one and having it inflate when you don't want it too... as compared to the one that inflates when you pull it if you are going to be "in the water" IMO.

bigfly
10-13-2010, 10:21 AM
They make them in manual inflate as well. Which is my choice.
My clients get the auto inflate (taking no chances there).
The smaller waist worn, is enough for many smaller waters.

Jim

Bob Laskodi
10-13-2010, 10:32 AM
One of the reasons the USCG initially refused to approve inflatable PFD's was because at that time, auto inflate models were not an option. If you are thrown from a boat and knocked unconscious, the manual pull inflatable PFD's wont do a darn thing to help save your life. While accidental inflation may be a problem with auto inflate models, they may also save your life. Hard trade off on the auto inflate option, with good reasons on both sides.

bigfly
10-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Bob, so true....
Life is full of trade offs.
I fish alone on lakes a bunch.
I figure, if I fall out of the boat and the vest inflates automatically, I probably won't be able to swim fast enough to catch the boat again..
A few years ago we lost a guy up here, I was out on the water then.
They had to drag the lake and dive for a day or so, (in Dec.). I bought a floaty the next day.
I figure if I float, they'll find me sooner. Don't want to put others at risk on my account.
Correct about the head injury though.

Jim

FISHEYE
10-13-2010, 04:36 PM
I use an auto inflate SOS. If I fall in a cold Alaskan River I want it to inflate on its own. The probability of finding the manual inflate handle in cold (less than 40 degrees) fast water is pretty low in my opinion.

NCL
10-14-2010, 05:59 AM
I had one of the SOS auto inflatable and had the same experience as TFisher with an auto inflate with a very small amount of water. Also the cost of the rearming mechanism is not cheap, if I rememeber correctly it was $15.00. So in addition to the hassle you also have the added cost. I sold the one that I had and when I use one, mostly when I use my pontoon I have a regulr non-inflatable type. If I was to purchase a new one it would be a manual inflate type.

Delta456
10-20-2010, 12:07 AM
I don't like a fishing vest, to much junk in the way and a lanyard is awkward. I sewed four D-rings on my Stearns inflatable for tools and use a fanny pack for everything else. Be sure that you aren't sewing into an area that is supposed to hold air. A bonus is that now I never forget my PFD.

hodge
10-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Can I travel with one of these PFD's on an airplane since they have the compressed CO2?

Cmcculloch
10-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Here is a link to the TSA list of prohibited items in carry on or checked baggage
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Be advised to check your airline policy for CO2 cartridges. Some allow them and others do not. You may have to purchase a cartridge at your destination. Or ship it ahead.