PDA

View Full Version : Noobie On the East Walker

flyfishnevada
10-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Before I retired back in July, I promised my friend and co-worker, John L’Etoile, we would meet up and go fishing. He has always been interested in fly fishing but had never done it. I told him I could supply the equipment so he could give it a try. We finally were able to hook up and made it out to the East Walker hoping that the recent rain hadn’t messed up the river too bad.

We headed to the Nevada side since John doesn’t have a California license. I took him to the Elbow to fish a few spots I have good luck at most of the time. We arrived and I rigged us both up to do a little tight line nymphing. The flows were at about 140 CSF so the water was a little deep and fast. Also, it would probably be John’s best chance to catch fish without having to try and cast.

http://flyfishnevada.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/img_2962.jpg

We fished a little run for a while without much success until we figured out the proper depth. They really wanted the fly dragging right on the bottom. I started off with a nice 12 inch rainbow. I continued to fish and gave John a few pointers. He was doing it right, but wasn’t catching fish. As I was explaining how the the indicator would dart sideways or down if a fish took his fly, mine did just than and I had a another rainbow, right on cue. John has worked his way upstream, but I offered my spot to him to help get him into some fish.

He took my spot and I fished near him. I had a few takes and even had a couple on that I LDR’d (long distance release, John). Finally, John got a fish. It wasn’t much, maybe 3 inches, but it was a fish. Probably a Lahontan Redside. Then he informed me it was his first fish ever, so we had to get a picture! A few minutes later he caught another.

http://flyfishnevada.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/img_2958.jpg

Meanwhile, I was still fishing and hooked a fish that fought a little differently. It wasn’t making little runs and shaking. A brown maybe? Once I got a glimpse, however, I knew it was a mountain whitefish. They don’t fight as aggressively as trout, but they are still hard to land. I have caught my share on at the Elbow, including two that would likely have been the state record (which is 2 lbs 14 ounces). This one wasn’t that big, but it went about 15 inches.

http://flyfishnevada.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/img_2960.jpg

Finally, John caught a real fish. A nice 8 inch rainbow, fairly hooked, on the drift. Good catch! We fished a while longer, but the fishing slowed quite a bit, that is to say it stopped. I know that run holds dozens of fish, but today you had to hit them in the head to get them to take. The flows have been jacked around the last few days and I am sure the rain didn’t help either (Yes, the was the obligatory list of excuses for not catching dozens of 5 pound trout).

http://flyfishnevada.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/img_2961.jpg

We drove to another spot on the Elbow I’ve done well at before. We met another fisherman who was doing well on streamers. He said he was fishing up stream towards our intended destination, so we abandoned that spot and went further towards the canyon the river flows out of. We found a nice looking run and fished it hard for about an hour. Within the first ten minutes we both had caught a small rainbow. Then nothing. We headed back to the truck and ate a late lunch then lounged for awhile and talked. It was about 3:00 pm and John was ready to go. He lives in Reno about a 2 – 2 and half hour drive. So we loaded up and headed back to my house.

On the way, we talked about fishing, the cost of equipment and techniques. I think John wants to buy a rod and reel and get into the sport. He loved the scenery and seemed to get it. It’s not just about catching fish, though he did like the feeling of that trout on the end of his line, it’s about being outdoors, experiencing nature and sharing it with good friends. Now it’s his turn. He promised to teach me how to surf.

As always, more pics on the blog.