PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport

GoldenStone
10-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Even though Sonora Pass is closed (so far), my cousin and I may make the trek to Kirman and the E Walker. Any recent reports for either?

And if anyone can get me the SHORT CUT directions to Kirman. I believe you can make out the shoulder drop from the Marine Base side.

Scott V
10-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Was at Kirman 2 weeks ago and it was tough, caught 1 cutt and 2 brookies all were my biggest of those species. Should be better by now, we had alot of weather and moon elements against us.

RenoLipRipper
10-08-2010, 07:07 AM
At Kirman 10-2 and not one fish. Not worth the hike. Very slow for all others in our group. Fished for about 5 hours. Then went over to Bridgeport Res.. Not much better. But it was during a nasty strom, which can sometimes be good, but not so this time. Some were down at the E. Walker. But everyday, hour etc. is different so give it a try.

bigfly
10-08-2010, 09:49 AM
GS, the "short cut" is to turn right (west) onto Sonora pass rd. from 395.
Drive 1/4 mile (or so), you will see a larger house/ranch building off the left side of the road,
Slow and look hard left after that. A small parking area with a fence-crossing-ladder is on the left. A small ranch building (abandoned) is nearby.
Cross the fence, walk 3 miles on the road. Bingo!
Light tippet (6x) helps a lot. Early and late is best, go deep during the day.
Good luck.

Jim

GoldenStone
10-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks, Jim. But I thought their is a shorter route from the Marine base side of 108, but you have to cross Leavitt Creek.

GoldenStone
10-08-2010, 01:33 PM
whoa... oh well, hopefully it has improved. Thanks, G. Stone

Scott V
10-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks, Jim. But I thought their is a shorter route from the Marine base side of 108, but you have to cross Leavitt Creek.

I went that route when I was there last month, and trust me it is not the short route, it is the steeper and longer route. Plus you have to cross the river and go through a good amount of sage brush before you find a trail again. Check my post under "newbies Kirman trip" or womthing titled like that posted by Ed.

The area a half mile from 395 on 108 is the correct place to start. I will be there next Saturday if you plan to go next weekend.

bigfly
10-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Unless you are training to be a hardman, take the road.
Just don't get tempted to fish junction lake!
The warden would love that.
I like a bike attack very early, or better yet, campout, evenings can be pretty good.
Don't leave your rod leaning against the fence when you get back to the car.......

Jim

troutbm
10-10-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm pretty sure it hasn't been planted in quit some time. Since theres no natural reproduction there you have to wonder how much longer it will hold fish ? Agree, The "shortest" route is off 108 at the old white house.

caniretireyet?
10-11-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm pretty sure it hasn't been planted in quit some time. Since theres no natural reproduction there you have to wonder how much longer it will hold fish ? Agree, The "shortest" route is off 108 at the old white house.

I wonder why there's no natural reproduction? I was there yesterday, and boy howdy, the brookie orgy going on in the shallows wasn't about food. No siree, it was about trout whopee! They've got to be reproducing if they're spawning, unless some over eager fish biologists gave them all vasectomies when they weren't looking. Am I wrong?

Cheers,
Steve

Jay
10-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Spawning isnt succesful because there is no moving water, which is neccesary.

It has been planted yearly (fingerlings) for at least the last 3 years.

GoldenStone
10-12-2010, 12:51 PM
I've heard they spawn in the inlet creek. And I've seen them running up that thing with sex in their eyes.

Jay
10-12-2010, 02:30 PM
I know they try to spawn, I just dont know if it is successful due to lack of current/appropriate substrate. Either way, its been getting fingerlings, so I dont think we need to worry a bunch about populations.

Kneedeep
10-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I have been told in the past that the inlet and "dribble" provide "meals" for the bears and mountain lions, thus limiting the success of the spawning process/area.

Dan L
10-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Brook Trout are not "true trout" and can reproduce in stillwaters ..... Dan L

Jay
10-12-2010, 09:11 PM
They can if there is enough wind generated current and highly oxygenated water. Plus acceptable substrate.