PDA

View Full Version : Local Stockton billboard by Save The Stan

Ben Kobrin
10-07-2010, 09:32 AM
I am admittedly not as involved in conservation efforts as I should be, but even I know enough to call bullshit on this one.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/lazychuck1/cb15d563.jpg

I saw this today in Stockton. In case you can't make out the fine print at the bottom, it reads: "A Public Education Effort of the South San Joaquin and Oakdale Irrigation Districts"

-Ben

Woodman
10-08-2010, 09:33 AM
At least they identify who is behind the billboard. Many of these so-called "save the whatever" groups are started by lobbysists for a variety of interests other than conservation.

troutbm
10-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Maybe its bull or maybe its not ? The fact is this, Striped bass have done nothing good for our rivers. They are highly predatory and do in fact eat juvenile trout and salmon. The introduction of this fish has defenitly upset the natural balance of things.

Woodman
10-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Maybe its bull or maybe its not ? The fact is this, Striped bass have done nothing good for our rivers. They are highly predatory and do in fact eat juvenile trout and salmon. The introduction of this fish has definitlely upset the natural balance of things.

No doubt. The problem is, everyone wants to point to the "one thing" that someone else did that caused all our problems. I think the striped bass were imported in the late 19th century. Funny how they only destroyed everything in the last couple of decades.

David Lee
10-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Remove every single Striper and Black Bass (LM , SM , Spots) and see how quickly the Salmon and Steelhead recover - keep on dreamin' because they won't recover .

Put the flows of our North State Rivers back where they were in the 1960's (shoot , even pre-1999 flows would help) and see how quickly EVERYTHING will return .

Less fresh water in the nursery/estuary (and more fingerlings being eaten by the PUMPS) = fewer Gamefish , simple as that . Putting the blame anywhere else is counterproductive .

D.~

WinterrunRon
10-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Actually, the introduction of the white man to the
West Coast upset the natural balance of things! ;) But I ain't leavin'! :)

Maybe its bull or maybe its not ? The fact is this, Striped bass have done nothing good for our rivers. They are highly predatory and do in fact eat juvenile trout and salmon. The introduction of this fish has defenitly upset the natural balance of things.

WinterrunRon
10-10-2010, 09:25 PM
I agree with the billboard... one should get the facts.

This is on the savethestan.com website:

"Public policy must be guided by the best physical science available. The scientific research in the Stanislaus River and the Delta proves the single largest threat to the survival of native fish species is predation. “Solutions” which propose that only more water will somehow promote survival of native species and exclude the impacts of non-native predator species are simply not based on credible science."

"There are non-native predatory fish in the Stanislaus and San Joaquin Rivers and the Bay-Delta. Research shows that an estimated 95% of the biomass is non-native and a major factor in the loss of steelhead. It is estimated that up to 1 million striped bass live in the Delta and only 1 out of every 10 juvenile salmon reach the Delta. Researchers call it “predation” because these non-native fish prey on the young native fish. Until predation is addressed, native steelhead populations may never increase in the river, no matter how much water is released. The Districts will support legislation that directs the California Department of Fish and Game to eliminate the predatory fish in the Stanislaus. "

1 million striped bass live in the Delta!?! :eek: Howza come I can't seem to catch one? :angry: I must be fishing in all the areas where they don't live! ](*,)

David Lee
10-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Actually, the introduction of the white man to the
West Coast upset the natural balance of things! ;) But I ain't leavin'! :)

True , the ultimate plague .....

D.~

OceanSunfish
10-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Remove every single Striper and Black Bass (LM , SM , Spots) and see how quickly the Salmon and Steelhead recover - keep on dreamin' because they won't recover .

Put the flows of our North State Rivers back where they were in the 1960's (shoot , even pre-1999 flows would help) and see how quickly EVERYTHING will return .

Less fresh water in the nursery/estuary (and more fingerlings being eaten by the PUMPS) = fewer Gamefish , simple as that . Putting the blame anywhere else is counterproductive .

D.~

I meet well educated people/parents from time to time, often from one of my children's activites, etc. The topic of water seems to arise more often these days, and that's a good thing, however, I'm amazed at how these well educated folks think it's a simple black/white solution, for example, getting rid of the striped bass and all will be peachy....

Thankfully, these folks are honestly interested in the facts and once they understand the dynamics of the ecosystem/food chain, they figure it out quickly that most of what they've been 'fed' is propaganda..... Lastly, they do believe that balance is the solution. But, our western culture is about WINNING outright (whereas many far eastern cultures revere balance) and that is just not conducive for the long term viabilty of our sportfisheries............ the same could be said about the vanishing 'middle class'... <grin>