PDA

View Full Version : switch rod or spey rod?

rotorhead900
10-06-2010, 07:09 PM
after 30+ years of flyfishing I picked a friends switch rod and have practiced with him on a few occasions. I really like it and want to get one of my own. I'm not sure to get a 11' switch #6/7 or a 12'6" #6 spey...those seem to be the logical choices for our Northern California waters, which is where I live and will predominately be fishing. Any thoughts on the matter? Thanks

Troutsource
10-06-2010, 09:21 PM
I have a similar question. I did some research and the only drawback for the switch rods seems to be that it's harder doing overhand casts than a typical fly rod. However, most of my shoulder pain comes from reaching for that extra 2 feet, not the actual cast. So if the switch rod gives me the 2 extra feet, maybe I won't need to reach as much. Then again, I'll probably always seek those extra 2 feet -- even with a 30 foot rod.

I found this thread to be useful comparing a switch rod to the alternatives: http://www.fliesandfins.com/postt1337.html

Paul

Steelie-Stalker
10-06-2010, 11:10 PM
I'd say it depends on whether you're committed to swinging flies all the time or you want to nymph at all. Since we don't really have a lot of big water on northern california, the extra distance a full on spey vs. a switch won't really make a difference.

If you want to nymph and swing, or be able to use the rod for something other then swinging flies I would say a switch rod. They're simply more versatile. (also if you get a light one like a beulah they're not too bad to cast singlheanded overhead all day. I do it with my 7/8)

If you're committed to swinging then I would go full on spey because thats what they're made for, you get a little more distance and line control, and they're more efficient casting.

Thats just my .02 cents

-Ryder

troutless
10-07-2010, 12:17 AM
What do you want to use the rod for and where? Trout, steelhead, bass?
And what time of year?

Here are a few thoughts from personal experience:

I started with a switch rod, but my own personal experience was that I did not really "get" the spey casts until I moved up to a longer rod (a 12' 6", as it happens). The casting skills and insight I acquired quickly translated over single-handed rods, so while I don't use a switch rod much, I'm sure I would be a better switch rod caster having worked a lot on the longer rod than had I stayed with the switch.

The lighter 'trout speys', and they seem to run in the 11'6"-12' range, are quite versatile and I am a huge fan of them. I swing flies, but I also nymph, and, for that matter, throw dries, down to midge patterns. The very lightest can be cast single-handed in a pinch, and they have great line control. So that's also something to think about if you are targeting trout or half-pounders. These days there is almost as much range in the spey arsenal as one sees in single-handed rods. You wouldn't swap a 3-wt
for a 7-wt or vice versa.

Third thought is: I find myself selecting a rod based more on where I am going to fish, meaning the very specific characteristics of the river, down to specific runs, than anything else (size of quarry, size of fly, type of fly). Some places are just more effectively fished, or can only be fished, with a long rod, some places it just gets in the way. The great thing about spey for me was it opened up places I had never been able to really fish before. In my case this was more about bottom and bank structure, vegetation, and line control than about distance.

stevie steelhead
10-07-2010, 07:16 AM
I recently went through the same decision process.
I fish mainly the Klamath/Trinity system for steelhead almost all year long.
I was lurking on spey sights and on this board's spey topics heading.
Finally, about a year ago, I purchased a 12'6'' 6 wt. spey rod, with all the different lines (Scandi/Skagit). Without a lesson, I really could not figure out all the line permutations, so I just put on the simple floating line and started to play with it.
Then, about a month ago, I was talking with the great guys at the Trinity Fly Shop(non nymphers only swing guys), and they convinced me that the best rod for all round use is a switch rod, so for my birthday my wife allowed me to purchase a 10'6'' 6/7 switch rod. The line that is matched with the switch rod is color coated so that I know how much line to leave out of the rod tip, and cheap simple loop to loop sink tips attach easily.
I am almost exclusively using the switch rod. When the rivers are bigger in the winter after the rains, I am sure that the spey rod will come into play. I will have to figure out the spey rod's multiple tips and lines this winter.
I think that the choice is analogous to purchasing a bicycle. I have a skinny tire road bike for road use, and a fat tire mountain bike for off road use. I guess that you could buy a "cross training" bike to cover all the bases, but only if you are a casual bicyclist. A serious bicyclist may need both, and similarly a serious swinger/fly guy may need both a switch and spey rod.
Since my spey/switch epiphany, I have not used my single handed rods! I am fishing more water and having a blast.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-07-2010, 07:50 AM
There is a big overlap between small (4-5 line) Spey rods and big (7-8 line) Switch rods.

This can be very cunfusing.....

Some of the larger (7-8 line) size Switch rods are really small Spey rods and are very effective fishing tools.

Some small Spey rods are very close to what a Switch rod feels like too.

For trout/Steelhead indicator fishing I think I would go for a 5-6 line Switch rod because they are physically lighter and can be cast with one hand too.

I did not think that Switch rods were all that practical until I got out with Jeff Ching on the Lower American River and saw him in action casting shad flies as far as anyone with anything.

Switch rods are many things.

The lightest 4-5 weight Switch rods are great for throwing small flies for trout and light Steelheading like throwing the small caddis imitations we use on the Lower American River for Half-pounders.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

**I think that if I had a 10'6" to 11'9" #5 weight Switch rod and a 12'6" #6 Spey rod I would be in pretty good shape for the kind of fishing I do. I like fishing in the fall so I don't really need a bigger Spey rod for now.

In the future if I fish in the winter or BC I would get a #7 Spey rod because I am older and not as strong as I use to be. Others would get an 8 weight Spey rod for that heavier fishing.

In the past month I have gotten out a lot on the Lower American, Lower Yuba and Rogue Rivers with my 12'6" #5 Spey rod and I have gotten over the hump with this two-handed casting/fishing thing and am more excited about Steelheading than ever.

shawn kempkes
10-07-2010, 08:01 AM
I think some of the confusion is with the term "switch" I have a couple of switch rods and I consider them small spey rods. I think the smaller shorter rods are harder to learn how to spey cast on so I would reccomend you get a 12ft 6 in 6 wt or 13 ft 7. Imho I think a 10 ft 7 or 8 single hand rod loaded with the lightest airflo speydicator line is a better bobbicator rod. I would reccomend you get a couple of speycasting lessons before you buy anything.

jcanger
10-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Lots of information here too: www.speypages.com

One piece of advice: There lots to read and learn, and lots of opinions out there. Take it all in slowly to not get overwhelmed! :)

Mike R
10-07-2010, 09:40 AM
I fish the two rods you are describing. Well a 11' 6wt and a 12'6" 6 wt (more of a 7). The 11' is a switch rod, but use it more as a small spey rod. I have never cast it overhand, nor fished a bobber with it. It is a great rod for smaller pieces of water, especially when there I'm tight to the bank. It is also much more fun with trout and fish up to about 6lbs. The 11' rod can be a little tricky to cast because you need a much more compact stroke. But, when you get it, it's pretty fun and doesn't wear you out like the bigger rod.

The 12.5' rod is great for bigger runs where I think I need to really cover some water or in situations I could encounter larger fish.

Mike