PDA

View Full Version : Davis C&R With Worms

michaeln
10-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Grizzly Store Facebook page reports a guy caught 40 fish up to 4lbs in Mallard Cove yesterday.... on large nightcrawlers.

Trout tend to suck worms way down, you don't lip hook many.

Jgoding
10-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Who knows, depends on the set up. I switched to bait fishing with the hooks from a certain fishing kit...... why you ask, because they lip hook every time but we're talking catfish and some years ago, but caught lots of fish, never gut hooked one.

SHigSpeed
10-06-2010, 12:51 PM
How likely do you think he was using circle hooks?

OTOH, if us 1337 flyfishermen are struggling and bait-dunkers are pwning us, we need to switch tactics! At the very least you feel that you aren't casting to nothing!

_SHig

1flyfisher
10-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Davis was planted recently and they dump them in on the east shore. So if you find that school of planters you can catch many planters. Mallard is a likely spot for them to be hanging. They dump them in at the east shore boat ramp. I wonder how many out of the 40 survived?

watch out for the mud @ davis and elsewhere. we have had tons of rain. it has been coming down hard since saturday and we have another big wet storm to hit the area tonight and drop some more. I always see some yahoo with baloney skin tires on a nice truck get stuck and the tow truck having to pull them out. I have had to drive quite a few people to portola in the past. make sure you have good OFF ROAD tires like Toyo Open Countries or BFG AT's(Good All Terrains) and 4wd. A $35,000+ truck/suv and all the 4wd in the world is useless with crappy highway tires in mud and snow. watch out for soft mud under the surface at cow creek. If you have 2wd or lousy tires go to Camp 5 or the paved east shore. The dirt roads can be rutted out fast and there will be a lot of standing water. It should be ok on the west shore to camp 5 at least, the road is good but there was a lot of gravel on it so take it slow.
IT was hot last week. A very nice indian summer. Now fall has come charging in. It looks to be a very wet winter.

1flyfisher
10-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Don't believe all the fish reports out there. Most of them are BS as far as the numbers people claim they are catching. I am on the lake all the time and I see what others are doing and if they are catching. Let's just say There is a lot of exaggeration. If this guy got the planter pod he may have caught that many. If not, I seriously doubt he got 40 fish.

Grizzly Store Facebook page reports a guy caught 40 fish up to 4lbs in Mallard Cove yesterday.... on large nightcrawlers.

Trout tend to suck worms way down, you don't lip hook many.