PDA

View Full Version : Davis 9/28-10/1

1flyfisher
10-01-2010, 05:51 PM
I fished it last week and there were some blooodmidges but they have since stopped this week. last week I found some nicer bigger cleaner fish, this week there were many smaller fish around 14/15" that had the parasites and scars on them. Some were very bad with it. I did get some clean fish in the 16-19" range. The fish ran on avg 14-16" with some bigger fish around.
The water is very cloudy with algae, pollen. and breaking up plants so it made it difficult at times. There is a major, brown, green algae bloom and pollen clouding the water. The wind was flat calm most of the time or out of the east so it blew a lot of crap around and the surface was covered with goo most of the time. It only took a little wind to clear it out and the breeze would move it around. There were midges and callibaetis coming off and the fishing was on and off. The fish came on in spurts where I would catch 3-4 and then they would stop. When fish were coming up and rising and I got my bug in front of them they would eat it but they wouldn'[t move or see your bug in the algae soup. So you had to hit them right in front of their nose but that was a bit difficult to judge. When the wind would come up the bugs would stop and the fish would stop. The fish would come up to the surface and I would hook up but as soon as they stopped rising the biting would stop. I would try various bugs when they stopped rising and had li8ttle luck with intermediate or floater and different bugs. They would shut off for a while sometimes a few hours+ but then in the late afernoon they would start up for a little while and then quit again. So you had to put in some time out there but if you waited them out they would come up for a few minutes and I could grab 3-4 fish.
When the wind was flat calm the bugs would come off callibaETIS/MIDGES. The wind has been flat calm at davis last week and this week. I expect that to change any day as the calm HOT breeze-less days won't last. I think once the wind starts(any day) it may shut them down for a bit till the water cools more, the water clears up and the fish get into a fall cycle. Right now they are on the bugs with no wind but when the wind kicks up the bugs will stop coming off so it will be interesting to see if that shuts things down for a bit.

There are fish with parasites and fish with just a few. Fish are on average around 14-16" with some 19 and an occasional bigger fish.
They planted it last week but I haven't found any 10" fish.
The water has warmed up into the low to mid 60's.

Watch out for the bears they have been running around A LOT on the west shore. If you camp be careful. Don't leave any coolers out at night they will be into them FAST. If you leave any BBQ food scraps around that will get them right on human food and only problems will happen then. There are cubs running around but I didn't see the mother but she is around, watch out. These bears have been running around davis and on the way out today i saw a small bear again and some guy was taking pics. They are getting acclimated to people and that is not a good thing.

FRSam
10-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I was out early this past Thursday morning fishing the west side. Second cast I was into a 19 inch fish with a bit of scaring but no live parasites. Outside temp was 43 degrees and the surface water temp was 63. There was no wind and the fish were coming up on a fairly regular pattern to what seemed to be blood midges and callibaetis. I fished from 7:30am till about 9:30am and got into nine fish. The algae bloom wasn't as bad in the cove I was fishing but when I moved over to the cove north of me it was like a thick soup. I had my cove to myself but I could hear somebody talking in cove next to me so I decided to investigate. I put ashore and fished the shoreline for a bit...this was shallow water but there were fish working within casting distance and I had a good grab on a boatsman which I missed.

I put my dog back in the boat and took it around to the center of this adjacent cove to have a look. I found some nice fish working off the weed beds and I saw a kayak which turned out to be Paul, 1flyfisher, fishing further in. We said hello and talked a bit and our notes seemed to agree...I would have liked to stay longer, there were plenty of fish still working, but I had to get going for a vet appointment. I did stay long enough to see Paul hook into a couple of fish...

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/DSC00505.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/DSC00504.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/DSC00502.jpg

I didn't see any bears this trip but my last run in with F&G out on the lake said they were having a problem with them as too many people were leaving food out where the bears had easy access. The bears can be a problem but in all honesty I'd rather deal with the bears than the cattle and thank god they're gone now.

Pete

wjorg
10-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Put some dog crap on a rat sized victor mouse trap. When the bears get snapped on the nose, they dont forget it.

Use dog crap instead if human food so they go get even with the nearby camp with a dog....And dont inadertantly get a human food reward if they just eat the trap whole.

: )