PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Lake Report (and other lakes)

Lee Haskin
09-29-2010, 10:02 AM
This report is coming late. (We actually made this trip the end of July.)

Alpine is one of our favorite places to camp. Normally, I find some great dry fly action at Alpine, but this trip found only small rainbows, with a few larger fish.
From Alpine, my wife and I hiked into Duck Lake, which was a great hike. As we approached this beautiful lake, I recognized fish feeding in the shallows. It didn't take long to rig up, but I discovered something totally new: The fish were 8" catfish! No trout. I played with them for a few minutes, but it was clear that these catfish were not eating anything I had to offer.

For years I have wanted to hike into Lower Kinney Lake, off of highway 4, on the east side of Ebbetts Pass. I have fished the main lake, next to the road, but on this trip we hiked into Lower Kinney, and found a jewel of a lake. There is a peninsula jutting out into the lake, and this would be a great place to camp, if anyone might be looking for a short hike/backpack experience. I'm told that the lake holds native Lahontan cutts too, although I didn't connect. I wish I had packed in my float tube!

Cheers,
Lee

Dan L
09-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Lake Alpine has been fishing well lately with a few big fish. Kinney fishes best late in the fall after the first snow on the pass. Bring a tube and cutthroats yes.
Dan