PDA

View Full Version : Question for Rod Builders

pgw
09-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Since there's no established "Rod Building Topic" section, I'll post this question here.

I could use some information about rod inscriptions...and maybe some assistance.

I finally obtained a Russ Peak Zenith rod similar to the one that he was going to build for me in 1984 before someone pointed out that I should spend money that rod was going to cost on something more worthwhile...now, she's saying that it's nice that I found one like I wanted way back then!

The former owner of this rod removed his name from the rod and I'd like to know what's the best product/process to get my name on the rod and make it look like part of the original inscription.

When I've built rods, I've either left them blank or twice, I did the weaving of my name into the butt wrap (never again). The original inscription on this one is in a White or Silver (ink?) handwriting on the grey blank.

Thanks in advance for any tips, add to the thread, PM, or e-mail me.

Paul

ps-by the way, I gave away that book I purchased (in the 80's) on "Fancy Butt Wraps" just so I wouldn't be tempted to weave my name into another rod...

Darian
09-29-2010, 09:39 AM
WOW!!! Weaving your name into a wrap!!! I am impressed but would never even consider doing that for myself. Nice to hear from a rod builder with great attention to detail. 8)

As to the lettering style and ink on the Russ Peak rod, I'm unfamiliar with it. However, I've been using white India Ink and a fine nib pen and a lot of practice and a steady hand. The pen and some regular and metallic colored inks available from most art supply stores.... 8)

Post a photo when you finish the rod.... :D :D

pgw
09-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks Darian,
Off to my local art store for supplies.

Paul

ted1
09-29-2010, 10:26 AM
You can also order custom labels, I think Mudhole sells them. Might also try "marbling" underneath the label if you're looking for something new.

Mr T
09-30-2010, 06:48 AM
There are a whole series of pens called "jelly" rollers, that work great for rod labeling. I get mine at Michaels, most any craft store carries them.

Some of them are a little slow drying, so give it a night before coating with epoxy.

jcanger
09-30-2010, 10:37 AM
I recently broke the tip on my 10' 6-weight Sage RPL. It's a custom rod that I bought of a guy a couple years ago. I assume b/c it wasn't a factory rod Sage wouldn't fix it all, and thus my only option to repair the tip would be a local rod builder. Am I correct? If so, can anyone recommend a builder who is both willing and able to do such repair? (Alternatives not to pursue would also be helpful!)

Thanks in advance guys!

ted1
09-30-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm not positive with sage, but if a rod wasn't factory, some companies will send you out the tip section as a blank, which will need wrapped.

I'll PM you a really good builder.

Darian
09-30-2010, 12:59 PM
SAGE does supply blank tip sections if the model blank that you have is still in inventory. I've done that before for a nominal charge. Rather than replacing the entire rod, it's well worth looking in too. Nothing lost for the effort....

On the other hand, if the break is within a couple of inches of the tip, maybe a replacement of the tip top guide is all that's necessary.... :nod: