PDA

View Full Version : Elko, Ruby Mountains

Frank Roepke
09-28-2010, 09:27 PM
I am heading out to Elko to fish the Ruby Mountains, meeting my brother who is driving from Park city. We talked about this for many years, now it’s time to make it happen. I am looking for any suggestions on where to fish. We prefer rivers / streams over lakes.

Thanks,

Frank

DFrink
09-29-2010, 06:22 AM
It's been a long time, but you may look into the Ruby Marsh's. When I was out there last (about 20 years ago when I was 10) the state record rainbow had been caught in the marsh's. I think it's on display in the local fish and game office had information? Good luck.

Dan

Darian
09-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Never been there myself. I've known several people who have. The marsh is supposed to be inhabited with all sorts of wildlife, flora/fauna, Bass and Trout. As in other areas of Nevada, water is taken from the marsh to provide irrigation, etc. As a result, there're some canals/channels through the marsh that provide open water for access. :nod:

The State of Nevada produces a publication about the marsh and what is available there. I picked up one from the Reno Fly Shop. You might be able to get one or related info on-line.... :-|

I'm planning a trip there next fall.... :nod:

Frank Roepke
09-29-2010, 10:25 PM
I have read some on the Ruby Marsh, not much on-line for fishing the streams. I will search for the Ruby Marsh guide on-line.
We set a date for Nov 6th, so I have plenty of time to investigate. Can’t wait.

Thanks

Fochetti
09-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Check out the Fly Fishers guide to Nevada written by Jan Nemec. Or just call the Orvis in Reno and talk to him yourself he will have more options than you could explore in one trip.

flyfishnevada
09-30-2010, 07:12 PM
I am heading out to Elko to fish the Ruby Mountains, meeting my brother who is driving from Park city. We talked about this for many years, now it’s time to make it happen. I am looking for any suggestions on where to fish. We prefer rivers / streams over lakes.

Thanks,

Frank

Lots of pretty streams, but Lamoille Creek is probably the pretiest and has good fishing. Just there a few weeks back. Brookies and tiger trout. Check out this post, or my blog for a report.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20767

Lots of other small creeks. The Ruby Marshes are a neat place and the collection ditch has good fishing. Also try the South fork of the Humboldt and if you have the time to drive a little the Owyhee River.