PDA

View Full Version : Sardine Lake report

Lee Haskin
09-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Although we had some high winds, the camping at Sardine Lake was fantastic. Few people and great fishing!
I fished Packer Lake 3 evenings, and the dry fly action was terrific. Even though the brookies and rainbows were primarily nymphing at the surface, they came eagerly to a small dry (Size #18 BWO was sufficient). The brookies were good size too, with most around 12" and few even larger!

It was nice to have a few planters for breakfast too!

The highlight of the trip was a hike into Deer Lake, with my wife. What a jewel, and a great lake for a short back-pack hike. When the wind would drop, the fish would come up and feed, and I did well with dries. Many rainbows around 14", which was a nice surprise!! A dirt road runs along the ridge, and if you have a 4x4 this is a short hike down to the lake, and even if you have to hike in the entire distance, it is only about a 2 mile hike along the Pacific Crest Trail.

I think I could camp in the Sierras, the entire month of September!

Cheers,
Lee

Troutstalker55B
09-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Lee,

Glad you had a great trip! I too went up to Deer lake about a month ago and had fun, first time up there. The hike in was great, and there were still some wild flowers out as well. Thanks for the report!

Jon.

jayclarkflyfishing
09-25-2010, 08:41 AM
We used to 4x in to Deer Lake when I was in high school just to raise hell,drink beer and be idiots.Good times.Haven't been back since but I feel the need to go sometime soon.

Glad you had good fishing Lee.The Lakes Basin are a real hidden gem in the Northern Sierras!