PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac fishing report, 9/18 and 19

lynnwhite44
09-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Lower Sac report
Got out Saturday morning. Fished 1st run and hooked 15+ fish and landed around 10.*Five of them were over 16". Quit around 4:30 on a 20 fish day.
Went out sunday morning and caught a bout 5 on 1st run, nothing over 14". I was sore from wading so I decided to drift fish. Was just below Bend Bridge and was floating next to a downed tree in the river. Indicator goes under, I set the hook, fish on. It was then I heard a splash, as I looked to my left saw my*extra rod fall in the river. I had it hangin over the side of the boat and it snagged on the downed tree. I landed the fish and motored up river to try to get my rod back. I couldn't get close enough with the motor so*I rowed to the top of the tree and was able to tie off. I spotted my indicator about 3 feet under water so*I broke off a brach from the snag, I reached my leader and was able to reteive my rod while only losing one fly.
started to drift again and I hooked another fish while setting the hook my six weight snaps.....damn twice in 2 years. the same rod I broke on the Deschutes last summer.
Call the wife who is shopping and she won't be back for an hour. So decide to do one more drift. I wasn't 100 yards below the boat ramp when my line starts ripping out accross the river. In seconds all my fly line is out and my backing is flying off the reel. I finally got the fish to turn and start getting some fly line on the reel when this giant steelhead flys out of the water and snaps my 4X tippet. I'm guessing about a 10 pounder. I'm shaking, my heart is pounding, god I love steelhead.
Top files Tan fox caddis pupae(the steelhead liked this one), Amber prince and brown rubber legs.