PDA

View Full Version : Delta Report 9-20-10

Hatch
09-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Unfortunately I was not in La Ventana this morning so I had to make other plans. Fished the North-East Delta this afternoon with long time friend Lance Nishimura. Put in at New Hope at 10:30 a.m. and fished till 2:00 p.m. We ran south and checked one of the usual spots and found fish right away. We were fishing XI3 8 wts. loaded with Rio DCS 250 and 300 grain line. We tried several flys but the fish really wanted to eat a tan/gold/white clouser called the "A.S.S." Fly. All 25 out of 28 fish were caught on that fly. 70 degree water with good clarity. We ended up with lots of fish. 23 stripers, mostly dinks, with a few 2# one 4# and a nice 12# that made my day. 5 LMB all under a pound. Many other grabs and a few LDRs made for a nice short trip.
I'll be back soon
Maury Hatch

Hairstacker
09-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Sounds like a fun trip, good for you guys! Sure wish the picture was bigger, though. :)

Rich Leonetti
09-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Just curious what does the "A.S.S" stand for ? There has to be a great story behind it.

malbers
09-22-2010, 04:52 PM
After many wife angering fishing trips to the Delta we determined that the colors Maury spoke about above worked really well for Stripers in a bunch of different areas at different times of year, and continually out-fished other colors. I started trying a variety of sizes, and named it the Albers Striper Sniper. My fly and the name of the research vessel. The A.S.S. fly was born. Do you see glorious fish hear the harmoneuous ringing of bells.

Rich Leonetti
10-04-2010, 01:42 PM
After many wife angering fishing trips to the Delta we determined that the colors Maury spoke about above worked really well for Stripers in a bunch of different areas at different times of year, and continually out-fished other colors. I started trying a variety of sizes, and named it the Albers Striper Sniper. My fly and the name of the research vessel. The A.S.S. fly was born. Do you see glorious fish hear the harmoneuous ringing of bells.

Thanks- thats a good one just like to hear the story behind the name.