PDA

View Full Version : MF Feather Isonychia?

Pupa
09-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi. I was planning to fish cleghorn on the MF Feather the first weekend in October. Looks like we have not a cold snap yet so I was wondering if anyone knows of any Isonychia or October Caddis action? Also, has anyone ever hiked-in at Oddie or No-Ear trails (on North side of river above Cleghorn)? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Brett

Troutstalker55B
09-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Brett,

Both bugs are a no show here on the upper river, bit I expect them to be hatching soon.

Jon.

Pupa
09-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks Jon. Any recommendations on flies if we miss the isonychia and oct caddis? I was thinking about a sink-tip steamer combo for some browns in the thicker water...

Troutstalker55B
09-21-2010, 02:59 PM
If I was nymphing I would still use the Isonychia nymph, once a trout eats one it remembers it. For dry fly fishing I would use a foam hopper mid day with or without a dropper. In low light conditions (morning and evening) by all means strip a streamer, those big browns gotta eat too!

Please post a report and have fun!

Jon.

Hogan Brown
09-21-2010, 06:15 PM
I have fished the NF feather a few times over the last weeks and fish have been chowing on Isonychia nymphs and I have seen a few schucks on the rocks. With regards to flies try Hogan's Isonychia nymph tied by Idylwilde, I came up with the pattern on the NF and MF. Also big PT's and AP Nymphs fish well. check out a most i made on my blog that talks about the hatch. www.hgbflyfishing.blogspot.com

cyama
09-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Hogan has a great Isonychia nymph. That fly just killed it on the Pit and Trinity last year!!! It is a little hard to tie, so buy it at the shop of your choice. If you want to tie a fly you can swing and nymph try this soft hackle. I found it at the Trinity Fly Shop and it does work. Fall is a great time on many rivers!!

Hogan Brown
09-22-2010, 06:14 AM
thanks man. I actually had a few of those from the Trinity fly shop and tied up a few to fish down on the Feather. it caught plenty of fish. Great bug to swing.

Troutstalker55B
09-22-2010, 06:45 AM
Hogan,
Nice post on your blog about the Isonychia. I rarely get down to the NFFR as of late and I'm wondering how much the white water pulse flows have effected the hatch? Thanks,

Jon.

Pupa
09-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the tip Hogan. I look forward to using this pattern. My understanding is that during a hatch, fish key-in on cripples or nymphs as the adults are emerging on the stream bank. Do I understand correctly that you suggest swinging an adult during a hatch?

Also, has anyone ever fished the Oct caddis hatch on this river (or nearby)? I have been trying for years to get some action but it always seems to fall short, despite legions of larva in the water...

Thanks

Brett

BBT
09-22-2010, 08:56 PM
I have fished Cleghorn; it was pretty busy when I was there late-september last year. Several groups in the campground by the river. Lots of small fish, but nothing over 12". Seems to get more pressure than the rest of the canyon for obvious reasons. Haven't fished Oddie or No-Ear, but hear you fish them once unless you are in great shape and love a challenge. Good luck on your trip. Post a report when you get back, assuming the buzz worms don't get you.

BBT

Hogan Brown
09-23-2010, 09:47 AM
ya I swing the nymphs in flats with a decent current towards the bank or fish a parachute adams during the hatch. Usually won't fish a dry unless I see adults on the water and fish actively eating them. I have not run into a Oct. Caddis hatch on the NFF...Best ones I find are on the NF Yuba

Double Haul
09-23-2010, 02:21 PM
I fished the MF feather this summer. Dropped in from the north side. Near horseshoe bar. It's a steep decent and a tough climb out just to warn you. Bring good socks and boots for the hike.

Pupa
09-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll post a report upon my return.

Brett

Jeff Fisher
09-28-2010, 09:11 AM
I've been down there. As with most trails down into the MFF, they are very steep and some don't offer much in the way of switchbacks. I went down the One Ear trail (I think....whichever was is upstream). It's definitely steep, but in pretty good shape and marked by a sign, which is always good when venturing down there. As for the river.... it's definitely loaded with fish. I fished downstream and got into lots of rainbows. The usual lot of 8-11" er's, but a few up to 14". Didn't catch any browns. Any nymph will work, they aren't picky. Same with drires.

Now that the water is lower, you shouldn't have any problem getting around down there since you'll be able to cross over where ever you want. A good trip would be to go down one trail, fish downstream then hike up the other. The two trails meet on top of the hill. I'd take a partner with you though. If something happens to you down there, you're toast.

~Jeff

EricO
09-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Jeff,

If it's anything like that butt kicker we did down to the MFF near La Porte a few years ago,
then I'm busy. lol At least we had switch backs.

I actually think it's worse.

EO

Pupa
09-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Good advice. I'll be going with a couple friends, one is an iron-man type who keeps telling me that it will be "no big deal." I just had a little girl and thus felling a bit of sleep deprivation lethargy.

Last year, almost stepped on a rattler and bumped into a bear, but had a great time primitive camping and narrowly skirting a freak hail and snow storm.

Are there any callibaetis on this river?

Some pics from last year at cleghorn.

Thanks.

Brett

fj40
09-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Dont forget to read Ralph Cutters piece in this issue of Cal Fly Fisher!

Pupa
09-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks. Is the article on the lower feather or the mf?

sfp
09-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Be careful. I've been fishing a lot of canyons for a lot of years, but last month I was search and rescued by helicopter out of the lower canyon along with two friends, one of whom was a very experienced outdoorsman. Actually teaches outdoor survival at a local JC. That canyon will box up on you really quick if you get aggressive with it.

And for the record you cannot hike, raft, canoe, kayak or anything else the six miles from Milsap Bar Rd to the Dome Trail on the lower River. A 1/2 mile above curtain falls (roughly 4.5 miles below Milsap Bar) are 2 inpassible 40 foot waterfalls. They cannot be jumped because of the under current and extremely narrow tongues. Curtain Falls, also roughly 40 feet is passable, but the unnamed and routinely unlabeled falls upriver are not.

Just an FYI for any idiots who were thinking about trying it like we did.

Black Cloud
09-30-2010, 10:20 PM
SFP isn't trying to scare anyone, the MF Feather is a wild river.
www.oregonkayaking.net/rivers/mf/mf.html

aaron
09-30-2010, 10:41 PM
The canyon is no Joke, I've kayaked parts of it and portaged even more! One of the most beautiful places I've ever been, but one hell of a tough place.

Pupa
10-08-2010, 02:52 PM
So we made it out alive. Great times and lots of smallish rainbows (8-12"). The hike down to Oddie Bar left us hobbling around for a few days, just in time for the brutal 1800' ascent. Strangely enough, nymphing was just not producing in the deep slots, despite every trick/fly in the book. Best action was in the slippery pocket water with hopper/dropper rigs (broke my Sage in this water). We hit some rain and sunshine but no real hatches to speak of - a few tiny baetis and caddis but no iso's.

Alot of hunters around with gunshots and howling dogs which gave the trip a mild Deliverance flavor. Plenty of scat and something big near the tent but no bear sightings.

All in all a fun trip on a wild river with some decent fishing. Not the kind of place to go alone or twist your ankle...