PDA

View Full Version : East lake//Diamond Lake Oregon Report

betty
09-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Fished East Lake 9/6-8. Weather awful--rain, wind, hail, with intermittent periods of calm. Fished the East shore in front of Cinder Cone campground. Did OK, caught many fish, most in 10-12" range, with a scattering of 13-17" fish, mostly rainbows, some browns. Largest a 17" brown. Mostly fished 9-12 feet of water using midges under an indicator. In the afternoon and evening, fish would rise to a callibaetis dry. Fish were skinny, not abnormally so, just thin.

Headed to Diamond Lake. Not able to fish area just out and north of Diamond Lake campground, since that area closed for maintenance, even the boat launch. So fished south end off the Pizza joint and also off the south end boat launch. Have to go a long way (300+ yards to get into 8 ft of water). Some decent sized fish, but mostly new plants 10-12" put in lake 2-3 weeks ago. Huge callibaetis hatch still going on. Did very well on callibaetis emergers and nymphs with an intermediate line. My friend who was able to go out further into the lake did better than I did in terms of size--bigger fish were more out in the center of the lake (still in 8-9 ft of water). He used a greenish bugger. But I did get some 15-16"ers in shallow. Water about 60 degrees. Have a feeling when the water temps drop, the bigger fish (any that are still left in the lake--LOTS of folks take fish home from this lake) will come in more shallow. These fish are well fed!!! Even the new planters were showing girth. The bug life on this lake is phenomenal, more than in any other lake I have ever seen. Also did some midging in the north end, near Thielson campground in 12 feet of water. Got a couple of nice fish there. Weather in October will be more iffy, but think the fishing will get really good.

Betty

fj40
09-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the report! I fish the area every year during tourist time(August). Have always wanted to go back during spring or fall. Sounds a bit cold though!