PDA

View Full Version : Duckling fly???

ted1
09-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Anyone ever tried one? I just did, and total failure. I can't find a pattern, head and feet are the problems.

Darian
09-19-2010, 01:57 PM
If you're trying to fish a duckling pattern at this time of year, you're a bit late. Generally, hatchlings are available in the spring. So, you're too late to match the hatch (so to speak). :lol:

Something that might work is to throw a bunch of deer hair at the hook, the bulkier the better. Trim it to an approximate profile/shape and go to town. IMHO, a very good alternative would be a KD Mat Rat very lightly weighted. As good a fly for your purpose as any. :D

ted1
09-20-2010, 07:50 AM
It would be for spring fishing. I'm thinking of making the neck/head separately from the body, maybe using bucktail, and attach it after the first trim. Not that the head would serve any real purpose, but just to do it. I also wanted to put some sort of light elastic band or something on the front of the legs, that would make the legs "paddle" when the fly was stripped, then go back when paused.

So many possibilities, and i'm sure it won't look pretty.

Darian
09-20-2010, 08:48 AM
I guess pretty isn't really a requirement. I like the idea about the legs paddling. You're right about being creative. How about a photo of the final product :?: Fun stuff!!!! :D :D

ted1
09-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Well, if you don't get a photo, you can guess how it went.......