PDA

View Full Version : Kings Canyon

pvsprme
09-18-2010, 08:31 AM
A few pictures from Kings Canyon last weekend. The Sheep fire was burning down to the river in places near Grizzly Creek, so I decided to hike into the confluence of the South and Middle Forks. A bit of smoke in the mornings, but it soon lifted. Easy in, tougher out on my 57 year-old legs, but better than I expected. Fishing was good on drys, #16 green or grey Klinkhammers were the ticket.

Kneedeep
09-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Nice!
Tough gettin' old, ain't it...:D
Thanks for the report/pics.

BillB
09-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks pvsprme, my old stomping grounds. You still have those young legs! Loved the pics as I haven't been down there in a couple of years. How is it in the Boyden Cave area?

pvsprme
09-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks pvsprme, my old stomping grounds. You still have those young legs! Loved the pics as I haven't been down there in a couple of years. How is it in the Boyden Cave area?

Bill,
The river is very low (350 CFS @ Pine Flat; probably 1/2 that or less in Cedar Grove) and according to a few guys who were camped at Convict Flat with me, it fished well around Boyden. I went upstream to the area between Roaring River and Cedar Grove on Sunday and it fished well on drys and emergers once I found the fish.

BillB
09-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Great water in that stretch Robert, and there are some large fish to be had. I knew a fellow that ran Buz's in Visalia for a while named Larry Goats. He guided that area I recall and had the opinion that it fished as well as the McCloud. I have a tendency to agree with him on that. Seems when you get past the Motor Nature trail there are not as many larger fish but excellent fishing never the less.

Bill