PDA

View Full Version : Any addvice for the lower Yuba ?

HOG-ON
09-16-2010, 07:41 PM
I am thinking about going for a drift from the bridge to Sycamore with a buddy this Saturday and was wondering if there are any fish to be C&R'ed. I am a rookie at the fly fishing thing but I will bring my loaned fly rod. Any advice on what type of fly and dropper fly would be appreciated, all though I will mostly fish plugs and rapalas.
Thanks for any help,
Russ
HOG-ON

royewest
09-16-2010, 10:10 PM
The "What's Hot and What's Not" fishing report (which Kiene's staff contribute to) has a regular section on the Yuba, with fly recommendations:

http://fishfirst.com/whandwn_current.html

Most regional fly shops (in my neighborhood, FishFirst! -- in Sacramento, Kiene's -- etc.) have expertise in the Yuba and specific flies, leaders, etc., for sale that have good success on the Yuba.

WhipperSnapper
09-17-2010, 02:03 AM
Somebody help this turkey out. You know where you can stick your plug?

HOG-ON
09-17-2010, 07:03 AM
The "What's Hot and What's Not" fishing report (which Kiene's staff contribute to) has a regular section on the Yuba, with fly recommendations:

http://fishfirst.com/whandwn_current.html

Most regional fly shops (in my neighborhood, FishFirst! -- in Sacramento, Kiene's -- etc.) have expertise in the Yuba and specific flies, leaders, etc., for sale that have good success on the Yuba.

Thank you for your advice Royewest

BigOkieWhiteBoy916
09-17-2010, 09:32 AM

Just so you know Eric. The guy you're making fun of is a good friend of mine.

HOG-ON
09-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Just so you know Eric. The guy you're making fun of is a good friend of mine.

LITTLE GEORGE IS MY FRIEND :unibrow:

Jaybinder
09-18-2010, 08:14 AM

Why so negative? The guy is asking about FFing. :-k

WhipperSnapper
09-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it sounded like he is one of those guys that just logs on to piss off fly fishermen. The "Although I will mostly fish plugs and rapalas" part made it sound that way, but maybe I'm wrong. Sorry, but if you're trying to get fly fishing advice, why would you end it like that. Why would you C & R with plugs and rapalas in the first place? That's gonna tear the $#$% out of the fish's mouth.

windwalker
09-19-2010, 07:10 AM
If you are going to use plugs and rappallas on the Lower Y please remember that the regs require a "single" barbless hook. You will need to swap out the trebbles.

HOG-ON
09-19-2010, 07:43 AM
If you are going to use plugs and rappallas on the Lower Y please remember that the regs require a "single" barbless hook. You will need to swap out the trebbles.

Thanks windwalker, I only fish single barbles plugs on any river I fish, infact I can not remember the last time I retained a fish (trout,steelhead) Any way a friend (Bigoakie) has peeked my intrest for fly fishing and I joined this board to learn more about it. I also under stand some people dont't like newbees,so I will just deal with it. Again thanks for your advice windwalker.
Strange, other boards I belong to seem to welcome new members.
Russ
HOG-ON

Jaybinder
09-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Welcome to the board Russ. Once you start FFing you will give up your spin gear for ever. I started about 2 years ago and I never looked back. This board has been very helpful and there are a lot of nice people here. Dont be discouraged. Be sure and post a trip report after you fish the Yuba. I plan on heading down there in a couple of weeks.

Jason

HOG-ON
09-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Welcome to the board Russ. Once you start FFing you will give up your spin gear for ever. I started about 2 years ago and I never looked back. This board has been very helpful and there are a lot of nice people here. Dont be discouraged. Be sure and post a trip report after you fish the Yuba. I plan on heading down there in a couple of weeks.

Jason

Thanks Jason for the welcome.
I ended up not going out this weekend though.

WhipperSnapper
09-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks windwalker, I only fish single barbles plugs on any river I fish, infact I can not remember the last time I retained a fish (trout,steelhead) Any way a friend (Bigoakie) has peeked my intrest for fly fishing and I joined this board to learn more about it. I also under stand some people dont't like newbees,so I will just deal with it. Again thanks for your advice windwalker.
Strange, other boards I belong to seem to welcome new members.
Russ
HOG-ON

Russ, when I read your post I really thought you were a guy trying to piss off fly fishermen. I've just seen too many one time posters do that. Sorry to call you out. Hopefully you find fly fishing much more enjoyable that plugging. I think you will. I don't think anybody has a problem with newbies. We all have to start sometime.

Hairstacker
09-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Russ, welcome aboard. Just to be clear, this board has never had an issue with "newbies" asking for tips and/or advice. Just the contrary actually. In any event, hope you have another chance soon to get out there with your loaner rod and I hope you get into 'em. :)