PDA

View Full Version : Best time of year for Rogue Steelies or Salmon

schurmo
09-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Hey guys! I have been trying to find information on the web about spending some time on the Rogue River chasing Steelhead...and maybe Salmon. I was thinking about February, but was wondering if the fishing is better in spring around April or May. I will more than likely be fishing from shore around the Shady Cove area. Any input would be great, or even a website where I can gather my own intel. Thanks guys!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-16-2010, 04:24 PM
I think October is the big month on the Rogue River around Medford for fall Steelheading with flies. The water can be around 50 degrees so most people use sink-tips or the indicator/nymph system. November might be good too.

People fish the lower Rogue River in September for King Salmon.

People also fish the lower Rogue River in Sept/Oct for Half-pounder Steelhead.

I think that they might have a winter run but not many people talk about it.

Langenbeck
09-16-2010, 05:04 PM
The Rogue winter run of steelhead is usually slightly larger than the summer run. About 85% of the winter fish are wild compared to about a 50/50% split for summer fish. For summer fish mid-Oct until late November is excellent if the river doesn't get blown out. For winter fish I would fish mid March until mid April especially in the upper Rogue from Shady Cove to Lost Creek Dam.

schurmo
09-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Lagenbeck, if I were do to the March to April thing, is that good fishing by wading, or do most people float it? Thanks again!

Langenbeck
09-17-2010, 05:21 PM
I only fish the Upper Rogue by wading. Some good water at McGregor Park and right below the dam.

oregonsteel
09-17-2010, 08:22 PM
I only fish the Upper Rogue by wading. Some good water at McGregor Park and right below the dam.

Is that "the Holy Water"?
How come you do not fish tou velle park?

Langenbeck
09-18-2010, 11:35 AM
To: Oregonsteel;

The water I am talking about is just below the hatchery. The "Holy Water" is just about the hatchery. Don't fish Tu Ville because the local Medford boys pound this pretty hard.