PDA

View Full Version : Guide for the Rogue

Andris
09-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Hey Guys: I'm planning a trip up to the Rogue in late October and am looking for guide. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks very much. -Rob

Tahoetrout
09-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Tom April is an excellent choice...(760) 914-0313

loganmike
09-16-2010, 10:44 AM
There is a fly shop in Ashland that can hook you up. Great little place.

Pretty easy float on the upper stretch if you have a toona!

But, for the love of god, be careful about rattlesnake. That sucker eats boats. I know from experience:(

saved the boat and gear though, so it was an empty bite!

me

stever
09-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Todd Ostenson of Trophy Waters Fly Shop in Medford. He is a serious guide that works extremely hard to put you on fish. I have fished with him a couple of times during the first week of November. Contact at (541) 734-2278.

bubzilla
09-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Sorry for the rant, and no offense intended here (other than to Todd), but I would rather get raped in prison than spend the day with anyone associated with Trophy Waters on the river. There are lots of great guides on the Rogue; none of which are Todd. He used to own a shop in Klamath Falls, and the bad taste of that still can't be washed away--even by the algae-laden waters of Upper Klamath Lake. Personally, I'd take my chances running Rattlesnake in an intertube with a six year old girl's water wings before I shared a drift boat with Todd. But that's just me.

rtb215
09-21-2010, 12:21 AM
I fished that part of the Rogue a couple of years back and the guide dropped me off above the rapids and picked me up below in calmer waters. After watching him go through there, I was kind of glad I walked. The guide was adamant walking around that area.

I do not know if you can still walk around that area as a new house was being constructed at that spot.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Jon Hazlett is a very good guide in southern Oregon

http://www.confluenceoutfitters.com/guidebios/jh.htm

Andris
09-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. We ended up contacting the Ashland Fly Shop and they have set us up. The owner, Tim, is going to meet us on the river in the afternoon the day before to show us some spots and some of the local techniques. We were going to stay at Morrison's--place looks great--but they were booked. Anyway, we'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again. -Rob

PatrickM
09-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Are you sure you don't mean Will?
No surprise that he would volunteer to meet you on the river. He's a pretty cool dude that really likes to help people out.
Good luck up there.

Andris
09-22-2010, 04:19 AM
Thanks pm--you are correct, it's Will Johnson of the Ashland Fly Shop 541-488-6454. Seems like a really nice guy. I'll let ya know how it goes. -Rob

Frank Pipgras
10-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I recommend Dave Carney as a guide for the Rogue. Single handed swinging flies, Spey casting and nymphing, he does it all and he has helped me get into fish for 10+ years

541-821-2329

oldtrout
10-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Dave Roberts is a real nice guy, a great fly tyer and guide too.

http://oregonflyguide.com/

Steeliejunkee
03-07-2011, 12:05 PM
you couldnt be more accurate stever, Todd Ostenson is a awesome guide and is a steelheading force that rogue steelies must reckon with, and is ultimately a great guy. People that use social forums to bad mouth other people really must have a very miserable personality that is accompanied by a meaningless existence that is the result of just being a very horrible human being. Oh well the world is full of this type of person(bubzilla) lucky it is full of people just Like Todd Ostenson to make up for it.

Dustin Revel
03-07-2011, 02:12 PM
you couldnt be more accurate stever, Todd Ostenson is a awesome guide and is a steelheading force that rogue steelies must reckon with, and is ultimately a great guy. People that use social forums to bad mouth other people really must have a very miserable personality that is accompanied by a meaningless existence that is the result of just being a very horrible human being. Oh well the world is full of this type of person(bubzilla) lucky it is full of people just Like Todd Ostenson to make up for it.

just playing devil's advocate here but does this mean you have a...

"very miserable personality that is accompanied by a meaningless existence that is the result of just being a very horrible human being"???

Because you've done just what bubzilla did... "use a social forum to bad mouth other people"

Maybe its justified maybe its not...

Steeliejunkee
03-07-2011, 02:58 PM
you might be somewhat correct if I didnt know the person that was the object of that post, but Todd is a good friend of mine and Im not the type of person that will let someone bad mouth a friend of mine without saying something about it, especially when it was done in such a childish manor. The fact that these negative comments can be posted by someone on this forum ultimately allows the ability for someone else to defend the subject of those negative comments.

Darian
03-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Time for this thread to go away..... :nod: Damned if I can understand why a guy waits for 6 months to bring this back up to hash out all over again (friend or no friend). [-X

Steeliejunkee
03-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Time for this thread to go away..... :nod: Damned if I can understand why a guy waits for 6 months to bring this back up to hash out all over again (friend or no friend). [-X
Well this is easy enough, I will use small words for you so you can understand and maybe spell them out phoenetically for you if needed. I was not on this forum 6 months ago, If I was I would have brought it up then. Since I was just added to this forum It was brought up now. Is that Understandable

Dustin Revel
03-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Well this is easy enough, I will use small words for you so you can understand and maybe spell them out phoenetically for you if needed. I was not on this forum 6 months ago, If I was I would have brought it up then. Since I was just added to this forum It was brought up now. Is that Understandable

Darian is probably better with words than you think you are. arrogance doesn't get you far... I've been down that road, and its pretty lonely

BTW I think you should work on reading comprehension (no offense, but if you're going to talk the talk)... it appears to me that he was actually refering to a different post

Steeliejunkee
03-07-2011, 05:53 PM
well your opinion on the appearance of darins comment is obviously incorrect.The (friend or no friend) obviously refers to me for one. The 6 months refers to the date of the original comment about my friend. so in what part of this refers to a different thread than the one being conversed about. At no time did i use this public forum to bad mouth "bubzilla", however I did use it to exspress my feelings about the verbal attack on my friend as politely as possible. Now to the ignorance, if darian would have bothered to do the research he would found that i was a new member and that was a the reason the thread came back, since it is 6 months to him it is still new to me.
Then when you Stated " come up january and febuary for some chrome" what ever made you make this statement is beyond me. A little research would have found my profile that listed my location as oregon. So if you want to continue this discussion please continue it through a private message. I tried to send this as private message but your message box was full. How is that lonely road your still on ?
;)

jbird
03-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Well you have just revaled why you get along with Todd

WinterrunRon
03-07-2011, 08:14 PM
SJ,

Let me help you. Don't reply... resist the temptation and just let it go- move on. Start a new thread about something constructive, helpful or interesting.