PDA

View Full Version : TFO Deer Creek vs Echo TR spey rod

Finatical
09-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Hello,

I am very interested in learning to spey ff. I have narrowed my rod selection to the TFO Deer Creek 6126 or Echo TR 6126 6 wght. I currently fish a single hand 6 wght.

I will use the rod to primarily fish summer and fall steelhead swinging flies on a floating line system. I would also like the option to fish sink tips.

Based on your experience, what rod would best serve this purpose? I hope to actually cast these rods on the water but I would like to hear what you folks think.

I appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks again.

Fin

Rick J
09-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Although I have not cast the ECHO looking at Kiene's site and comparing recommended lines for each rod it appears that the ECHO will be significantly faster and throw heavier lines. It will depend somewhat on what type action rod you like though just because you like a fast or moderate action single hander may not necessarily mean you will have similar preferences for 2-handers.

My gut feeling would tell me that the TFO might be a rod better suited to skagit style and the ECHO suited to scandi style. If you are anywhere near Kiene's shop, I would highly recommend you go in and see about trying both rods. Hopefully someone at the shop will weigh in on the casting characteristics of each rod

http://speyshop.kiene.com/speyrods.aspx

speyfool
09-14-2010, 12:11 PM
I haven't fished the deer creek. But I do have that ECHO rod (the 6weight too) and like it a lot. Works great for both floating line and sink tips. There isn't really anything that I don't like about it. Rajeff himself says that the TR is more geared for scandi style. But, I think it works great for skagit too. Just have to slow down a little bit.

Lance Gray
09-14-2010, 06:44 PM
I sent you a PM. Take a look at it.

Lance
530-517-2204

Don Powell
09-14-2010, 06:54 PM
And, a 6 wt double hand (spey) = 8 wt single hand

And, that concludes lesson #1

Because I find I have the most fun fishing 3-6 wt single handed rods on the Yuba, I figured my 6 wt switch and 5 wt 12' 6" double hander would be perfect...man, was I ever wrong!

A typical Yuba rainbow/steelhead should be fished for with a 3-6 wt SH, or, a 1 (which I am sure no one makes yet!) to 4 (which I know some builders make!) double handed (spey) rod

Give these hard fighting fish the chance they deserve...

Hope this assists you in your decision making in entering the amazing world of two handed fishing...

Terry Thomas
09-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Fin,
Both quality rods that will handle similar line sizes. To me, they are both pretty fast action rods. If you haven't checked out our Spey Shop, you may want to make a visit. These two rods are vastly different in their cosmetics. Take a close look and see for yourself.
Terry

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-15-2010, 07:54 AM
I think a 12'6" #6 - 4pc Spey rod will be very useful size for most Steelheaders.

You can get a larger #9/10 fly reel with backing and a looped floating running line so you can try all kinds of different heads on it.

You can have a short Scandi with Poly/Versi leaders for fall fishing and then a short Skagit head with a selection of sink-tips for bigger flies in the cooler months.

We have maybe 5-6 different Spey rods in that size category that are under $400.

Some are faster action and some are deeper flexing but they all cast great if you get the right line on them.

This is the perfect time to buy a Spey rod.

thepeacockspecial
09-22-2010, 09:14 PM
hey fin,

i have the tfo switch. I love it very much, but i recently bought my brother a different type of switch rod for half the price. If you are just learning, look up the wild water fly "river run" switch rod series. I think it is comparable to the TFO, but no idea about the echo. I am thinking about getting another "river run" 5/6 myself, so that i can give away my single hand 5 away to my other brother. If you cannnot afford the tfo, you can try the wild water fly "river run" switch series. The river run rod loads VERY well with 9wt float line, but then again it all depends on how you like it, and how you can handle it.

Tim R
09-25-2010, 09:04 PM
I owned the Deer Creek 6126 for a short while but havent tried the Echo 6/12/6- I'm very interested in the Echo because it is more of a 6/7 while the Deer Creek is more of a 5/6 according to the research Ive done on that Rod-

If you look at the Rio Products line recommendations you will see that Simon Gawsworth liked the 400 grain Skagit head on the TFO- Elsewhere 480 is recommended for the Echo 1266 - Gawsworth likes 500 on the DC 13' 7 wt and I think Rajeff recommends 570 for the 713 Echo - not that you can take that for gospel because everyone prefers different wieghted heads - but in my mind the Echo 6126 is a bigger grain window rod - than the DC

The TFO 6126 is a sweet little rod for sure- and I've spoken with guys who love it- I've also talked with guys (online) who love the Echo 6126

Also, I have been told by someone who owns both the Deer Creeks 5/6 and 7/8 that the 5/6 was designed after the Highlander series while the 7/8 was designed after the MKS series rods- I figured the 5/6 would be just like the 7/8 only smaller and lighter but that doesnt seem to be the case.

Bottom line is they are most likely two entirely different animals and I'd ventuer the Echo is a stouter rod with a bigger grain window.
-
But I'd cast both of them a lot and even fish them if possible before making up your mind, because on paper these rods almost always appear different than they are in real life.

Finatical
09-28-2010, 07:43 AM
feedback. Lots of good info to think about. It looks like anglers are satisfied w/ both rods. It looks like its going to come down to a preference w/ the rod that has the 'best feel' on the water.

The comment about the power of the spey rod not being the same as a single hand rod was a good tip. I was not aware it was that significant.

Again I appreciate your input, and I wish all of you an abundance of pull downs on the swing!

Fin