PDA

View Full Version : Foam Swap

Ben Kobrin
09-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Not much action down here lately...probably slow because of the great weather and great fishing. Anyone interested in a swap? The only rule is that foam be used as one of your materials. Because the fishing is still hot, I thought we'd make this relatively small with a generous due date. How about 10 people and a November 1st target?

1. WoolyBugger - Terrestrial Trio
2. mike borba - Foam Humpy................................Received
3. TMS - "Sponge Bob" Caddis..............................Received
4. RAS - Foam Bass Fly.......................................Received
5. Scott V - Orange Crush...................................Received
6. OUT
7. Hairstacker - Upright, non-cute, Grasshopper......Received
8. Maodiver - Amy's Ant......................................Received
9. NRVI - Shark's Wasp.......................................Receive d
10. Frank.S - Gurgler........................................... Received

mike borba
09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
OK I haven't swapped in awhile, and never on this board. Not sure yet what I'm going to tie, but I'll let you know. Thanks for doing this. Mike Borba

Ben Kobrin
09-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks Mike, happy to have you join.

...also, TMS is jumping in with a "Sponge Bob" Caddis.

-Ben

mike borba
09-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Wow, most fly swaps I've participated in filled up in one day. So far I only have to tie two flies. I'll tie a foam Humpy. Mike Borba

RAS
09-24-2010, 08:06 AM
I want in on this if we get enough people.
I'll tie a foam bass fly that I came up with about ten plus years ago.
How many do I need to make? Ten?
RAS

Scott V
09-24-2010, 08:14 AM
I'll join in with my "Orange crush" it is a great little foam fly that has caught some monster slab bluegills and bass. Would probably work on trout too but I mainly use it for gills.

Ben Kobrin
09-24-2010, 09:07 AM
RAS and Scott, thanks for jumping in. It's taking longer than I thought to fill up, but we just might get there!

My favorite foam flies are terrestrials...and since this is a smallish swap, and they are pretty easy to tie, I am going to tie an ant, a beetle and a hopper. I will call it the Terrestrial Trio.

RAS...yes, you tie 10 flies if you want one of your own back. If not, then you only need to tie 9.

-Ben

Hairstacker
09-24-2010, 11:15 AM
I've hesitated all this time to join this swap because I'm not much of a foam guy but I do want to support anyone willing to put in the effort to host a fly swap on this board. So, I'm in! I still need to figure out what to tie, though.

Scott V
09-24-2010, 11:18 AM
I've hesitated all this time to join this swap because I'm not much of a foam guy but I do want to support anyone willing to put in the effort to host a fly swap on this board. So, I'm in! I still need to figure out what to tie, though.

You can always sustitute deer hair for foam, I personally wouldn't mind myself. ;)

Hairstacker
09-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Scott, I really appreciate it but I will happily stay within the scope of this swap and tie with foam. I'm thinking a cute foam grasshopper pattern. :)

Mike O
09-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I just saw this. I'm in with the Amy's Ant.

Ben Kobrin
09-28-2010, 09:10 PM
It has taken a while, but we're picking up steam...only two spots left.

Hairstacker
09-28-2010, 10:29 PM
I saw that you updated the list of tiers and patterns . . . . I may have to change mine from a "cute" grasshopper pattern to an "upright" one. Yeah, I fish-tested an initial prototype at the Delta on Sunday and no matter how I cast it, it landed on its side and stayed there. ](*,)

On the other hand, the Ak's Hopper I tested worked great and the panfish seemed to love it! Unfortunately, there's no foam in that pattern. ](*,) :lol:

nrvi
09-29-2010, 07:09 PM
If there is still room I'll contribute a Shark's wasp.

mike borba
10-02-2010, 05:48 AM
If you pm me an address I promise not to wait 6 months to read it. I'll send 10 flies and you can return 1 to me if we end up with 9 swappers. Mike Borba

Ben Kobrin
10-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Just a quick bump to the top to hopefully entice one more participant. We already have a few sets done and on their way to me. As these get tied up, just shoot me a PM and I'll get my address to you ASAP.

-Ben

Frank.S
10-06-2010, 08:13 PM
I would like to contribute the Gurgler. They seem to work really good for the bass around here.
Thanks
Frank

Ben Kobrin
10-06-2010, 11:15 PM
I would like to contribute the Gurgler. They seem to work really good for the bass around here.
Thanks
Frank

Thanks for jumping in Frank!

Looks like we're full!

Scott V
10-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Thanks
Frank

If this is the Frank I am thinking of, his flies suck big time. Not worth the cheap taiwan hook they are tied on.:D

Love ya buddy!

I could use another one of your gurglers though. Are they going to be white?

Frank.S
10-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Oh Scott
Just for you I will tie them on the most expensive hooks I have. I will also do them in some really wild colors.

mike borba
10-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Sent them out yesterday. Mike Borba

Hairstacker
10-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Well, I finally settled on a fly pattern for this swap and I believe it's a really good one. :D I fished it twice on the Delta with my 2 wt. rod to test it and found it consistently landed right, was highly visible, is easy and quick to tie, and the panfish loved it -- in fact, it worked better for panfish than any topwater fly pattern I've yet tried on the Delta and I've now settled on it as my go-to topwater pattern for this venue.

Here's a couple pictures of the prototype I tested -- please keep in mind this is what it looks like after being mercilessly and viciously attacked by several dozen Delta bluegills and redears, which also says something about its durability:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF1862.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF1864.jpg

The materials list is as follows:

Hook: Tiemco TMC5212 (i.e., 1x fine, 2x long) size 10
Thread: Danville's 3/0 Waxed Monocord, color tan
Foam: 2mm closed cell foam, color yellow
Body: 100% pure new wool yarn, color tan
Wing: deer body hair, natural
Legs: Sili Legs, barred yellow/gold-black

I rate this fly squarely in the "beginner" category as far as tying difficulty. By the way, it's hard to see in the picture but the wool yarn completely encircles the foam to create the body of the fly.

Also, I found the wool body tends to soak up water and causes the fly to sit in the water film but the foam keeps the fly afloat. I didn't use any floatant but I think I would recommend adding some to the body and wing. I also thought about substituting waterproof dubbing for the body but the fish seemed to like it so well already that I decided not to mess with the formula.

I got the wool at Michael's and it came in this big, multi-colored skein:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF1866.jpg

The colors seem to change every 10" or so, and as you can see in this close-up, these are great colors and I can see this one skein being very useful for tying up a variety of trout subsurface patterns, like caddis larvae:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF1868.jpg

The nice thing about yarn like this is that it's so easy and quick to tie with. In any event, I'm relieved to have finally settled on a decent pattern and I hope Sierra trout like it as much as the Delta panfish have. :D

Mike O
10-14-2010, 01:40 PM
am sending some foam back spinners as well. they are easy to tie, and I needed to tie some anywayz

Hairstacker
10-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Flies are ready to go, just need a mailing address. :)

Scott V
10-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Flies are ready to go, just need a mailing address. :)

Just send them all to me Mike, my little bass and gill pond will eat 'em.:D

I should have my flies done this weekend.

Hairstacker
10-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Scott, I'd be happy to do that but I'm thinking everyone else in this swap would prefer I didn't. :lol:

nrvi
10-22-2010, 10:43 AM
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h433/nrvi/flies/PA220789.jpg

Scott V
10-22-2010, 11:39 AM
nrvi, those look real nice. Rancho Seco will be one of the places I plan to use that fly, every winter I see dead bees on the water and have wondered if the trout would take a bee fly.

nrvi
10-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks, I know they work on the E. Walker, I substitute them for the hopper in a hopper dropper combo.

Ben Kobrin
10-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Sorry for the delays in getting my address to a few of you. It's been a while since I've been able to sit down and catch my breath. I have many sets already in and several more on the way. I'll do a comprehensive update shortly!

-Ben

Ben Kobrin
10-26-2010, 01:40 PM
I have updated the front page. I have many sets already in (needless to say they all look fantastic) and a few on the way. As you guys finish just shoot me a PM and I'll get you my address. Thanks again for participating!

-Ben

RAS
10-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Did you receive the foam bass bugs? They went out about two weeks ago.
Let me know if I need to make another set of bugs.
RAS

Ben Kobrin
10-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Did you receive the foam bass bugs? They went out about two weeks ago.
Let me know if I need to make another set of bugs.
RAS

RAS,

I absolutely got them...sorry for the oversight. Actually, yours was the first set that I got in the mail, well ahead of the others, so I had it set aside in a different spot. They look great!

-Ben

RAS
10-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks Wooley Bugger, had me worried for a bit!
GO GIANTS!!!! 8 to 2 in the 5th!!!
RAS

Hairstacker
10-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Ben, my flies are in the mail! I don't want any of them back so please keep any extras that result. Thanks again!

Scott V
10-31-2010, 08:17 PM
Sorry everyone I am a little late, my in-laws have been in town for the last week. I will get mine in the mail by tuesday.

Scott V
11-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Mine are going out tomorrow, I am not to happy with them. I tried tying them a different way, no matter they will catch plenty of gills. Sorry for being late. Keep the extra.

Ben Kobrin
11-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Good News: All the flies are in!
Bad News: We lost a swapper, so we are down to 9.

This means that we will have an extra set from everyone. I can either:

1. Send everyone back the extra of their own that we didn't use.
2. Mix them all up and send everyone an extra random one.
3. Create an extra 9-fly set and send that full set to someone at random (using a random number generator and our corresponding numbers on page 1).

What say you guys?

Once we get this sorted out I'll be shipping the flies out on Monday or Tuesday.

-Ben

mike borba
11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
How about donating the flies to a worthy group? Is there a local fly club available?

Scott V
11-07-2010, 11:05 AM
How about donating the flies to a worthy group? Is there a local fly club available?

+1 great idea, someone on the board does an event each year for special needs kids that would be my choice.

Mike O
11-07-2010, 11:06 AM
If the group wants, My wife is organizing a Craft and food fair for my Kid's School (Plainfield Elementary, outside Woodland.) I am tying up a couple dozen Hopper/Copper/Dropper sets to include in the fair.

I would gladly take the extras, throw a few in to make a dozen, and donate them there.

Unless someone has somewhere better, then I am +1 to Borba's suggestion

RAS
11-07-2010, 05:58 PM
+ 1 as well
RAS

Hairstacker
11-07-2010, 11:57 PM
I like Scott's suggestion or some other introduction-to-flyfishing venue for kids. I also support Woolybugger just keeping 'em for his efforts as swapmeister.

Ben Kobrin
11-08-2010, 02:51 AM
If the group wants, My wife is organizing a Craft and food fair for my Kid's School (Plainfield Elementary, outside Woodland.) I am tying up a couple dozen Hopper/Copper/Dropper sets to include in the fair.

I would gladly take the extras, throw a few in to make a dozen, and donate them there.

Unless someone has somewhere better, then I am +1 to Borba's suggestion

Unless someone objects, this sounds like a good cause to me. Maodiver will be getting the extra set. I hope to get everything in the mail on Monday or Tuesday so you guys can be fishing your new flies by the weekend!

I had originally signed up to do a terrestrial trio (hopper, ant, beetle). However, we had another swapper sign up for an ant and Hairstacker's hopper very similar to what I had in mind (don't worry, everyone is WAY better off with the hopper that Hairstacker tied). I decided to honor the beetle, but tied up some mice instead of the ant and hopper. They came out pretty good, except I ran out of grey rabbit zonkers and had to switch over to a different color for the last three.

I'm looking forward to sending all of the sets out, as you will all be very impressed with the variety and quality of the flies that everyone tied. GREAT JOB!

-Ben

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/lazychuck1/7ab51cdd-1.jpg

Ben Kobrin
11-09-2010, 03:32 PM
All packages have been mailed. They should get to everyone Wednesday.

-Ben

Mike O
11-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Got both sets. Thanks a lot guys, they all look great!! Plainfield School thanks you as well!!

RAS
11-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Wow! Got a box of bugs today.They do look great! Thanks to all. I never thought to include a tag with my name.
Thank you Ben for puting this together, ( my first swap )
RAS

mike borba
11-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys. Something for everyone and everyfish.
Mike

Scott V
11-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Got my box of flies in the mail today and they are really nice. I am sorry that mine looks horrible compared to the others, but it catches fish. Job well done to everyone, thank you.

Hairstacker
11-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Got my swap flies today! \\:D/ Great flies with some really cool takes on foam I've never seen before. Thank you everyone and especially to Ben for hosting! :)

Ben Kobrin
11-19-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm glad you guys are finally getting them. Any idea why they are taking so long? I sent them all on the same day (10 days ago).

-Ben

Hairstacker
11-19-2010, 11:48 PM
It is unusual and I have no idea, but no worries, was just glad to get 'em. Hopefully, everyone else has already got theirs as well.

nrvi
11-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Got mine in the mail yesterday, post office must be taking furlough days also. Great work guys they look sharp looking forward to getting them wet. Thanks for hosting.