PDA

View Full Version : sierra's

joshfish
09-09-2010, 11:29 PM
seeing all the pictures of these beautiful sierra lakes and streams makes me want to check some of them out. can anyone give me some info on good trail maps. i have never hiked the sierras so the more detail the better for me.

RAS
09-10-2010, 07:13 AM
Check into U.S.G.S. topo maps and Forest Service maps for particular national forests.You can get the USGS maps at most outdoor shops and Forest Service maps at ranger stations
Good luck hiking and fishing the back country.
RAS

P.S. There's only one "s" in Sierra...

Darian
09-10-2010, 09:11 AM
In addition to the above, other maps area available from BLM, California State Auto Club and the DeLorme Atlas. Lots of sources for maps. Some are very detailed, others are high level and show different types of info on the same areas.... Fun stuff. :D :D

Ben Kobrin
09-10-2010, 09:53 AM
The other suggestions are great for general areas, but for more specific information I have always loved the Tom Harrison maps. They are waterproof, show great topographic detail, and have very accurate trail information that includes distances. These maps, and Google Earth, have been my best planning tools for new adventures.

http://www.tomharrisonmaps.com/

-Ben

joshfish
09-10-2010, 11:35 AM
RAS i realized about the s after it was too late to change it.

RAS
09-10-2010, 12:44 PM
joshfish,
Sorry to have mentioned it.
Good Fishing to all, RAS

Mike O
09-10-2010, 01:37 PM
have y'all seen this site yet? All the CA USFS maps in pdf form, at very high resolution, so you can download them (huge files, like 32Mb or more) and zoom in at your leisure at home.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisitormaps/index.php

Once you chose your map, and it opens up to the clickable version, click the link in the upper right to download the .pdf, then save a copy to your computer.

Enjoy!

joshfish
09-10-2010, 01:48 PM
RAS dont worry i didnt take any offense to it. laughed a little when i read it.