PDA

View Full Version : Baum Lake Sept 10-13 2010

michaeln
09-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Well, Baum Lake is my favorite place to fish, and after a blistering summer the temps are coming down now. Mid 70 degree temps predicted for this weekend with overnight lows in the 40s. It's now after Labor Day weekend so there probably won't be that many people there. Sounds to me like I have waited long enough (last trip up there was in May), and it's time to go fishin'!

I'll be camping at the Hat Creek Hereford Ranch. Plan to drive up way early tomorrow (Friday) morning direct from SF to Baum, fish the morning, then go to HCHR and set up camp and eat lunch, maybe take a nap, then back to Baum for the evening bite.

It would be cool to see someone from the board there. I expect the weeds to be a major issue, (really bad in a float tube but manageable rowing a pram or 'toon), but the water temps stay good all year there because of the constant current flowing through. I also expect mid-day to be pretty slow fishing, but there be some nice fish near and under those weedbeds, and ima get me some!

joshfish
09-09-2010, 08:22 PM
have a good time. i would join you but my boy had knee surgery and my daughter has flag football practice saturday morning. leaving after practice would put me at baum late in the day and if i was going to fish the afternoon the lower sac a few minutes from my door would be a better bet. a friend of mine likes to fish baum in the fall and winter. maybe we will be able to meet up with you and fish baum one saturday. post a report when you get back.

michaeln
09-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Baum was wonderful. Delightful weather (40s at night, 75 in the daytime), blue skies and not a cloud in the sky, clear, cool water (52 in the morning, 58 in the late afternoon), tons of bugs (massive damsel hatch... I have never seen so many of the pretty little blue buggers flying around, lots of caddis and 3 different mayfly hatches), and the fishing was decent... I boated 22 for Friday and Saturday, all 12-16" and CLEAN, no copepods on any of them.

Hardly anyone there... maybe 4-6 boats and float tubes on Friday, and Saturday I got on the water right at daylight and NOBODY showed up until about 9:30AM... gorgeous morning and I had the entire lake to myself!

Fishing the damsel hatch north of the reed island, first cast to a visible riser resulted in a fish that was a good two feet long hammering my nymph, tailwalking and jumping three times, the he busted my 5X leader. Not didn't come untied, it was a clean break in the tippet. Wish I'd been able to have him on longer than the 10 seconds we danced!

Man I love fishing at Baum Lake! It sure doesn't get much love from the people on this board though. Fine with me, less crowds, I love it more!

Kneedeep
09-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself.
Thanks for the great report.

michaeln
09-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Hat Creek Hereford Ranch was great too. My campsite was three times the size of the ones at the PG&E Cassel campground, covered with lush grass, plenty of shade. I was next to the pasture with the cattle in it and it was SO pretty and peaceful!

michaeln
09-13-2010, 05:13 AM
Oh, forgot to mention!

I caught four fish on a fly I made up, the Shit Creek Special. It's like a Sheep's Creek Special, but I used feathers from my macaw Chico, who I affectionately call "Shitbird". So the fly uses olive crystal chenille for the body, blue macaw wing feather for the wing, and I added a beard of yellow macaw. The hackle on the butt is the usual brown.

Stupid looking fly, kinda ugly. I tied it just as a lark and while I was out there at Baum thought "what do I have to lose, these fish will eat garlic Powerbait after all, they can't be all that discriminating". Sho nuff, they went for it.

Darian
09-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Hmmm,.... How about a totally blue version :question: Blue fly, Blue Damsels.... Wadda ya think :question: :question:

michaeln
09-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Hmmm,.... How about a totally blue version :question: Blue fly, Blue Damsels.... Wadda ya think :question: :question:

Since Chico / "Shitbird" is a Blue & Gold Macaw, it has to have blue and gold feathers to be a true "Shit Creek Special".

http://michaelnel.smugmug.com/Pets/My-Buddy-Chico/chicobar-1920/144759692_qACBp-L.jpg

Kneedeep
09-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Shithead, meet Pooppoop.
Unusual soft hackle............

Darian
09-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Boy!!! Those are beautiful birds. :cool: Lotsa fly tying materials on the hoof, so to speak.... I've been known to save those feathers for tying Atlantic Salmon flies.... :nod: :nod:

Cmcculloch
09-14-2010, 01:32 AM
Can you say "pretty bird"? Photos are great!