PDA

View Full Version : Heenan Lake Reports?

jds108
09-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Did anybody fish Heenan Lake for the opener? How is the algae and water level this year? It's been a couple of years since I've been there, but I'm hoping that there is more water in the reservoir than years past.

I'll probably be fishing there on the 18th.

-Jeff

ErikB
09-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Have not been yet but a group of us are going up for a few days soon.
Will post after our trip.

Tight Lines,
Erik

Kneedeep
09-08-2010, 07:59 PM
ALMOST didn't open due to lack of funding for the public potable "conveniences".
CalTrout stepped up, I believe, to provide necessary $$.
Haven't heard how the fishing was.

jayclarkflyfishing
09-08-2010, 08:06 PM
I fished Heenan for the opener and had a slow go of it.The lake has good water levels and the algae was mostly light.Not as many weeds along the edges this year either.

I had a total of 6 grabs for 3 hookups and one landed fish in a day and a half of fishing.Some folks were catching more, but most were getting 1 or 2 landed a day. Hardware guys were doing well as usual with one boat landing a 30".

Hope you all have better luck than I did!

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-09-2010, 12:47 AM
I guess it's open September and October?

I usually recommend going in October.

jayclarkflyfishing
09-09-2010, 04:48 PM
ALMOST didn't open due to lack of funding for the public potable "conveniences".
CalTrout stepped up, I believe, to provide necessary $$.
Haven't heard how the fishing was.

It also almost didn't open due to the authorities using the parking lot as a staging area for the removal of a pot grow just over the ridge.We were given a warning to be on the lookout for 3 guys,possibly armed and dangerous.Made for an interesting day!

Jay

markem8
09-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Leaving work at noon today to head to Heenan. Hopefully the cooler weather this week got the cutts going. I will be in a blue water skeeter pontoon.

ErikB
09-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Fished Heenan Friday and Saturday with our club. I managed two on Friday, with a couple of LDR's as well. Got one on Sat. morning and saw only a couple of other fish caught. Left after lunch for other commitments so not sure about the afternoon. Definetly tough fishing,possibly weather too nice, sunny and not much breeze on Sunday.

Tight Lines,
Erik

SHigSpeed
09-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Can anyone explain why Heenan is such a finicky lake?! It's crazy how bipolar the fishing can be. Sometimes 10-15 fish days, sometimes working your ass to kill the skunk!

There's gotta be a lot of fish in there right?

Also, has anyone ever tried a Pyramid setup there? Bugger and beetle on a fast sink?

Hope to make it out this year, but not counting on a lot of fish (better to go in with low expectations right?)

_SHig

markem8
09-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Fished Heenen Friday afternoon and got one then went back on Saturday and I did fairly well. I got all my fish by going deep with small flies. The water temps seemed nice for this early in the season. I didn't have a therm but I could feel the coolness through my waders and ski socks and someone told me that they had a reading of 62 at the surface. Also, there was not hardly any algae which is nice compared to all the green goo last year.

jds108
09-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the info everyone.

Shig - this place has always been unpredictable for me. Depths, location, flies, retrieve all seem to vary. I have had days where very bright attractor patterns work. These flies don't look like anything natural. Other days they won't get a single hit.

It's just a lake that requires trying different offerings until something works.

It's good to hear that water temps are cool. I wonder how stressed those fish get when the water is warm and the algae is blooming. I figure that algae can't be helping the oxygen level in the water.