PDA

View Full Version : Upper Klamath Redbands in CA

Ned Morris
09-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Going to a remote stream in Northeaster Siskiyiou County this weekend to take samples for UC Davis and DFG this weekend. Hopefully results will prove conclusive that there is a "new" species of Redbands found in CA. This finding will add to the list of Native Trout found CA that qualifies for the Heritage Trout Challenge as well. May take a while, but research has provided documentation that this unique species of Redband although common in Southern Oregon exists in CA. The Native Range dictates as such, but we shall see what the experts at Davis find with our samples. More to come so stay tuned all of you Native Trout enthusiasts.

jburge
09-08-2010, 09:22 PM
troutdog,

Having the opportunity earlier this year to pursue both the Warner Lakes and Goose Lake redbands, this has really piqued my attention. Will definitely be looking forward to hearing your report back. Thanks!

John

Bob Laskodi
09-09-2010, 07:56 AM
TD, don't hold your breath waiting for the DFG to act on the petition. A few years back UCD submitted a similar petition to the DFG about recognizing the Pit River Redband. It' still sitting somewhere in the bowels of the DFG!!!!

Ned Morris
09-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I went to the DFG Heritage Trout Biologists and showed them my email correspondence and documentation from Bhenke this past spring confirming his samples of Upper Klammath Redbands taken in CA in the 1970's. Proved conclusive then, and they invited me to take samples for them (Furloughs and such, I don't think CA has much of a budget for DFG anymore) as it isn't on their list of "to do's" at the moment. I don't doubt your statement about Pit River Redbands getting lost in the bowels. But on a more promising note, DFG is getting close to list the Feather River Redband on the CA Heritage Trout species list. Even possible strain in SoCal being researched now too.