PDA

View Full Version : Balancing your reel to your rod...

Terry Imai
09-06-2010, 12:59 PM
In the good old days of fly fishing, there was not the variety of fly reels that we're fortunate to have now. If you were on a modest budget, the Pflueger reel lines were put on many rods and caught their share of fish. Since those days, our rods have become significantly lighter but it appears that reels have gone through a proportionally larger weight loss. When getting my recent Spey rod, Jason Hartwick recommended that I pick up an "old school" Hardy click reel. I mentioned some other brands but Jason said that it would help substantially with my casting with a slightly heavier reel. I did purchase that reel with that rod and I'm very happy with that decision. Since that got me thinking about my single handle rods especially with a few rods that just feel like a log. I did some looking around the Internet and found this article:

http://www.flyfishohio.com/a_question_of_balance.htm

After some trial and error with determining the rod and reel balance point and with 20 yards of 45 lb. lead core trolling line installed on my reel; it brought my dead stick to a nice live feel to it.