PDA

View Full Version : Kirman Lake

Mike Stroud
09-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Heading to Kirman Lake this weekend. Anyone been there lately?

mikel
09-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Well, no, but I'm walking in there next Friday and talked to the guys at Ken's today. With cooling weather and water temps it should be picking up, if anything. They haven't had a lot of reports. Leeches, scuds and maybe damsels were what they suggested for bugs.

Good luck! Cool little lake. -Mike

Mike Stroud
09-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Just returned. Biggest brookies I've ever seen in the lower 48. There were a totoal of 7 anglers in and out of the lake today and about 30 netted, brookies and cuts. Wind was howling night and day, made for a workout in the float tube. Scuds, leeches, wolly buggers, were the ticket with fast sinking line. Lake is relatively warm. If you'll be camping, head for the wooded area to get out of the wind. Good luck!

Kneedeep
09-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the info. I may be headed up there in a few weeks.
Any snakes?
Hit any other water?

robdog
09-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the info. I may be headed up there in a few weeks.
Any snakes?
Hit any other water?

Correct me if I am wrong, but @ 7200 feet I don't think you have to worry about that. The 3 mile hike w/ your gear up to the lake is something that you should. There are plenty of lakes in that area, but you have to boogie to them w/ your feet. If you don't mind that, then you might want to check out Poore Lake. Never fished it, but heard that there are more Cutts in that lake than in Kirman. Checkout Steve Ojai's webpage of the area (http://stevenojai.tripod.com/westwalker.htm).

Kneedeep
09-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm no stranger to Kirman, and trust me, if you're walking out in the early evening or after dark, best carry a long stick and a flashlight; flipped several "buzzers" off the road in the past.:eek:
Anyone ever taken the "short cut" to the lake?

OceanSunfish
09-06-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm no stranger to Kirman, and trust me, if you're walking out in the early evening or after dark, best carry a long stick and a flashlight; flipped several "buzzers" off the road in the past.:eek:
Anyone ever taken the "short cut" to the lake?

Since you're a regular to Kirman, I would like to know if you ever hiked out a fish or two for dinner? It's my understanding that the Brookies live but only 5 years due to a very rich diet that causes cardio-vascular issues... no joke. I was actually encouraged to keep a fish now and then.... The meat on those brookies is Sockeye red too. Tasty? yes?

As for the shortcut..... That maybe more reserved for the Marines training at the nearby Mountain Warefare Center.....

SHigSpeed
09-06-2010, 08:08 PM
I'd really love to pack up my tube and grab my bike and hit that this fall. It's been on the "bucket list" for a couple of years now. Too bad it's so far from here or I'd try to make a day trip of it.

_SHig

Kneedeep
09-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Personally, I release all my fish with the infrequent exception of maybe 6-10 fish between 1.5-2 pounds for the smoker. These are usually accumulated over a few days and almost always from the Lower Owens.

A fellow I know of packed one out a few years ago but the temps/lenght of the trip pretty much spoiled it.

Jay
09-06-2010, 08:51 PM
SHIG

I make 4-5 trips a year there. They are all daytrips, hiking, with float tubes. I live near Auburn. Its a long day, but it can be done!

SHigSpeed
09-06-2010, 10:46 PM
SHIG

I make 4-5 trips a year there. They are all daytrips, hiking, with float tubes. I live near Auburn. Its a long day, but it can be done!

Good to know!

_SHig

Scott V
09-07-2010, 12:32 PM
When I get back Shig I am totally down for going to Kirman, I was hoping to get there this fall.

Jay
09-07-2010, 12:35 PM
We should get a good size group of board members up there.

DFrink
09-07-2010, 12:52 PM
I may be camping there in a month or so and was planning to fish the lake. Is bank fishing possible, or do I need to leave the beer at home and pack my tube in?

Kneedeep
09-07-2010, 01:36 PM
I may be camping there in a month or so and was planning to fish the lake. Is bank fishing possible, or do I need to leave the beer at home and pack my tube in?

Pack your tube in. Shore access can be a problem.
Couple of refreshments in the pack won't hurt.

DFrink
09-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I guess it's the float tube and Scotch!

Kneedeep
09-07-2010, 03:11 PM
I guess it's the float tube and Scotch!

Even better!

SHigSpeed
09-07-2010, 05:21 PM
When I get back Shig I am totally down for going to Kirman, I was hoping to get there this fall.

You're on! I got a frame pack now so it'll be a tough call on Canty or FishCat... Probably 'Cat. Now a Heenan/Kirman weekend might just do the trick. ;)

_SHig

bigfly
09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
The issue with snakes, is near a section of the road that is near a winter den, maybe halfway in.
In the spring there can be an amazing concentration of 'em on the road.
The warden there, has counciled me about leaving the head on fish if you keep one to hike out.
We had to empty our packs on the ground for a search.
I put the piggies back to help the fishery. The lake has been neglected/overfished for a few years. Big Brookies are a wonder of nature, maybe prettier than a Golden!

Jim

mikel
09-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Jim, I saw one in May when I was on the way out in the afternoon, just about 200 yds toward 108 from Junction...the cold temp the last few nights should be putting them down a little, right?

-Mike

Kneedeep
09-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Well spoken Bigfly.

Blueracer
09-08-2010, 02:09 PM
SV - Are you there yet? Kirman is still on my list to do this year but would 3 be too many for a trip there? Like if there's bikes in the car, 3 tubes etc. If so, no prob, I've just had it on my list for this year too. I was thinking of hitting at least one other lake like SHig suggested with a drive that far.

Oh, but speaking of bikes.... I'd have to see if I still have one some place. Anyways, have a great trip SV.

bigfly
09-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Mike, I wouldn't worry too much about snakes right now, the big deal is the spring concentration.
Maybe take a sinking line too, and some small sz6-8 streamers dark green/gray, as well as a Burk's aggravater or two..
Go deep midday, for something to do.
Have fun!

Jim