PDA

View Full Version : Another Non-flyfishing Delta Report

Hairstacker
09-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Well, I hadn't planned to make a habit of these. Honest. But thought I'd share a fun way to spend time with and involve the little one.

Since wife's always baking cookies with my little girl, I decided we would do something much more fun and interesting -- make doughbait together! (I know, stroke of genius. :lol:) Yep, researched some recipes online and my little girl helped me mash the ingredients, mix 'em up, knead the dough, and roll up little dough balls. She enjoyed rolling the dough into balls the most and I was actually impressed by her dough ball-rolling ability (she just turned 3):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF1831.jpg

Once we were done, we headed out to the Delta to try 'em out. I had a feeling these doughballs would work but imagine my shock when she hooked into this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF1825.jpg

Her little "Cars" pole bent over straight when the fish took the bait, and when I grabbed the pole, it started taking out line with her reel screaming despite the fact I had set her drag as tightly as I dared for 8 lb test. I briefly tried to let her fight it alone, but the fish was pulling way too hard and she couldn't hold onto the pole, so we fought it together. It managed to take some line out several times before we finally got it in and her brother thought her little fishing pole was going to snap well into the fight. The fish was also too heavy for her to lift for the picture so her brother helped her.

I guess we'll be fishing doughballs from now on until she's old enough to wield a fly rod. :lol: If anyone wants the secret recipe, just send me a PM. :D

Mr T
09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Waaay too cool!

Darian
09-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Mike,.... Another set of great photo's.... :D BTW, good catch!!! Maybe you should tie some flies in the shape of the dough balls.... :unibrow:

Icastnblast
09-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Ohh my goodness, that is heart melting. Way to get the little one out there early.

My little Fiona is only 1 1/2. So this year might be tough as her attention span is about 5 min max. But next year definately gonna get her on the water. already have the little princess rod, just need to teach her to reel it in. Should just cast a little plastic fish across the lawn and let her start practicing bringing it back.

Would you be willing to share your successful bait recipe?

Phil Synhorst
09-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Mike,

Have you started looking at Shotguns and porch swings yet? If not, start now, you've got boy trouble in about 10 years.:)

She is cute as heck, congratulations on gaining another fishing partner.

jburge
09-06-2010, 04:31 AM
Mike,

Heartwarming, inspiring, fun, and just down-right cute! You are a lucky fellow! Thanks for sharing :-)

John

mar
09-07-2010, 12:25 AM
That's some good stuff right there. And a nice fish to boot! Thanks for sharing your adventures again.

Ed Wahl
09-07-2010, 01:16 AM
:thumbsup: Mike, yoiu just go ahead and make a habit out of these.

There's never too many kids fishing posts.

Ed

fj40
09-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Mike, You have spoiled her for future fishing expeditions around here! Little trout will not do the trick. Save your money! Tarpon and Sailfish I see in the future. Thanks for sharing. Dave