PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Creek - September 2, 2010

flyfishnevada
09-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Gee, nice I could show up! Been a while, a month to be exact. Been busy with Henry’s football, school shopping, and, if I’m being honest, a little lazy. Plus after the trip to Elko, I felt a little fished out. I even planned to make a trip last week, but the wind and rain showed up. Moved all the dove out of here too. A couple of weeks ago there were literately hundreds of the little buggers in the field across the street. As of yesterday, opening day of dove hunting season, maybe 20 remain. Happens every year around here right before dove season. I watched two guys hunt and they got exactly two shots. I didn’t bother. Anyway…

The wife and I took a little drive over Monitor Pass a few days back and I got the itch to head back to fish. Always wanted to fish Wolf Creek, so that’s where I went. On a side note, that last sentence just goes to show the amazing amount of fishing opportunities around here. I digress. It was kind of a last minute decision so I didn’t arrive until about 10:45. I parked at the top of the big meadow and walked downstream for about 20 minutes. Lots of good looking water.

http://flyfishnevada.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/img_2637.jpg

I finally stopped walking and began fishing back upstream. I started with a hopper. September, meadow, duh! But no rises. Then I switched to a nymph rig. Nothing, but 2 minutes later I saw a decent trout rising so I switched to a dry. Nothing. Damn! I switched dry flies, nothing. Then as so often happens, I was about to give up on the dries and a trout took my submerged fly. OK, whatever! It was a nice 12-inch rainbow. Beautiful, feisty and wild. Could hardly snap a picture it wriggled in the net so much. With new found confidence I headed upstream.

http://flyfishnevada.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/img_2639.jpg

http://flyfishnevada.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/img_2642.jpg

Nothing. I found a nice hole just begging to be nymphed, so I switched back to the nymph rig. A few casts later and bang. Not as nice as the first, but a 7-inch brookie. I continued fishing all the good water I found until I was back near the truck. Nothing except one small fish that hit my indicator. Oh well, I didn’t get skunked and I was hungry. I ate lunch and headed towards home. On the way, I stopped by the East Carson along Wolf Creek Road and fished for a little while, but nothing. Nothing, word of the day! All in all a nice little trip and the scenery made it worthwhile even if the fishing wasn’t spectacular.

As usual, more pictures on the blog, including a cool picture of FFN headquarters.

dickwhite
09-03-2010, 07:54 PM
As far as I know the Carson Iceberg wilderness is still closed from the Wolf Creek trailhead upstream for a "let it burn" wild fire.

Check with the Carson Ranger district before heading in.

1536 South Carson Street
Carson City, NV 89701
(775) 882-2766

It might save you from being fined.

Dick White
Tahoma Meadows B&B

flyfishnevada
09-04-2010, 07:45 AM
If you mean the trailhead at the top of the meadow, I was there and didn't see any indication of closure. Still, not a bad idea to check.

dickwhite
09-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Nice report.

The closure was from the Wolf Creek TH up into the Carson Iceberg Wilderness. They may have pulled the closure since we had some rain last week.
I hiked up into the CIW 2 wks ago up the East Carson drainage to Silver King Crk. Wonderful country and some great fishing. Only saw 2 people in 3 days. You got to love the backcountry.

Tight lines
Dick White
Tahoma CA

flyfishnevada
09-05-2010, 03:47 PM
I hiked up into the CIW 2 wks ago up the East Carson drainage to Silver King Crk. Wonderful country and some great fishing. Only saw 2 people in 3 days. You got to love the backcountry.

No doubt! Even here, the only person I saw was one of the ranch hands driving around the meadow in a Jeep. Looks like they have some makeshift gates in the meadow to control water flow.