PDA

View Full Version : Adding distance to your cast with a double haul

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-02-2010, 08:27 PM
We will be conducting two free fly casting workshops on Saturday, Sept 11, at 9:00 am and 10:30am at Kiene's Fly Shop. Each workshop will be one hour in length.

Focus will be on increasing casting distance through equipment assessment, the development of tight loop formation, especially on the back cast, increasing line speed with the hauls on both the forward and back cast (double haul), and a hard stop release.

Attendance requires a sign up and each workshop is limited to 5 persons. Casters should have intermediate level casting skills. This is not a clinic for novices or beginning casters.

Casters should bring their own rod, 5 wt to 7 wt, with a weight forward floating line, and a 7'6" to 9’ 1x or 2x leader with a puffball of yarn approximately ½ inch in diameter as a fly substitute. We have the yarn for doing this too. Rods should be rigged in advance of the starting time.

The workshops will be conducted by John Hogg, FFF Certified Casting Instructor, and you should email him to register at:

johnhogg@sbcglobal.net

There is no charge for the workshop. A caster can register for one workshop or the other, but not both.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-08-2010, 12:49 PM
If you have some time this coming Saturday and you want to improve your single-handed distance casting we have a free event at Kiene's Fly Shop.

John Hogg, certified Federation of Fly Fishers Casting Instructor, will be teaching people how to improve their distance casting skills.

You will learn how to "double-haul" which is one of the things that will improve your distance on open water and casting in the wind.

This class will help anglers to cast further for Steelhead on larger rivers, saltwater fly fishing, fly fishing lakes and larger streams.

Casting over 50 feet is a huge limiting factor among the fly fishing community and is something that will improve your experience tremendously.

Email John to hold you a spot.

Phil Synhorst
09-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Bill, what time are you guys going to open up? I'll be in attendance, may need to grab some yarn from ya, or just bs until things get going.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-09-2010, 11:14 PM
We open at 9am on Saturdays.

Phil Synhorst
09-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Much thanks again to Bill, for hosting the classes; and to John for his excellent instruction. Now, I need to get out there and put it to good use.;)

And to my classmates, Dean, Bill, and Chuck. It was nice to meet you guys; good fishing to you, and hope to see you on the water.:)

Jet
09-16-2010, 05:50 PM
I just want to say thanks to Bill for hosting the casting class and John for his awesome instruction. Joey and I had a great time. I never realized how difficult it is to make immediate changes to your casting style. Joey struggled too and wanted to resort to his old ways. I will have to make some time to take what I learned and practice a little. I just can't seem to break the 50-60 ft barrier with my 5 wt. Joey on they other hand has casted 86ft with one false cast at ISE and 100 ft with his 7wt in AK. He's hard to coach which is why I like to expose him to great casters like John. Thanks again Bill and it was nice swapping tales with you in the shop.

Tight Lines,

Joe