PDA

View Full Version : NF of the American

esummers
08-31-2010, 09:11 PM
I was thinking about planning a 2-3 day excursion into the gorge of the NF of the American this fall. It sounds amazing and really difficult. Got a buddy of mine who is going to make the trip with me (I don't want any part of that place solo).

I was wondering if the fall is a good time to go there or are water levels to low? I'd love to do some streamer fishing for some browns. Speaking of browns....any big boyz in that neck of the woods?

Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

Tight Lines

Eric

bigfly
08-31-2010, 11:25 PM
Eric, do you have a climbing background? I believe there is a steep trail bisecting the canyon,
but it is canyoneering to traverse the length. Not super technical (several short rappels), but very isolated. Cool trip, take pictures. Fall should be good. Summer can be snakey.

Jim

k9mark
09-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Just a side note, watch out for marijuana plantations please. It can be dangerous if you stumble across one.

DFrink
09-01-2010, 06:55 AM
That's right, I worry about this more than anything else when in the back country. If you start seeing "irrigation" materials or anything else used for growing, turn around and quietly leave the area. Good luck on your trip.

Dan

Just a side note, watch out for marijuana plantations please. It can be dangerous if you stumble across one.

bigfly
09-01-2010, 08:37 AM
The growers want to be done before frost, bad for the product.
Just wait till the chill, and go for it.
Jim

esummers
09-01-2010, 09:32 AM
No, I don't really have a climbing background. Maybe I'm not talking about the gorge itself. I was referring to the one of the three established trails off of foresthill road that lead down to the NF. I understand it's difficult, but is it doable for a novice such as myself (mid 30's in good shape)? It also sounded like they're established camping areas near where these trails intersesct the river?

Also, what type of methods would you recommend for late September or October? Streamers on sinktips? Heavy Nymphs? Dries?

Thanks for your help guys

Eric

bigfly
09-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Eric, trails are steep going in, and steeper coming out. Totally doable by trail, but save some energy/time to hike out. Try not to hike out in the direct sun, maybe take a good headlight (with xtra batts.) for a dusk hike.
Drink lots of water (take a pump, and xtra bottle).
Small dries will do, small nymph too.
Maybe throw in a sinking leader for pools or deeper runs.
A small sz wooly bugger might work well this time of year.
Enjoy!

Jim

wineslob
09-14-2010, 08:44 AM
The trail I'm very familar with is Mumford Bar. It's not bad...........going down.
The fishing is good, but, IMO, it's being "hit" too often by the horse crowd.
Before they built the staging area at the trailhead, the trail was beautiful. There were years when we walked on a bed of pine needles all the way to the bottom. Now it's nothing but exposed rock and gravel, and the fishing has declined at the same time.
However, if you go upstream from the cabin at Mumford, about 2 miles or so, the fishing is still very good. Farther up........:-D
As far as what flies, the trout are pretty wild and eat just about anything "buggy".
We caught fish one time using chunks of Bannana slugs. :p