PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis

jayclarkflyfishing
08-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Fished the lake this afternoon for the first time since early July.With the cooler nights that we've had I wanted to see what the water temps were and I was not disappointed.61 degrees was what I saw in Fairview.There was a nice blood midge hatch going on and also callibaetis spinners and duns were about.Fish were sipping callibaetis infrequently.I also saw one damsel nymph and a couple of adults.I found one very small snail on my anchor but no others.
I caught one fish on a cinnamon bugger,had a grab on a sheep's creek and also on a pt slow stripped in.
Even with no snails, I feel this should be a pretty good fall on Davis.Lastly,the lake has a lot more water in it this fall than in recent years.

Jay

gene goss
09-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the report....looks like it cooling off a little earlier this year.

michaeln
09-02-2010, 05:29 PM
You guys should read the definitive explanation for conditions at Davis as posted on the Grizzly Store's "fishing report":

"The fish are still real confused on what they should or should not be doing."

So, it's not snails or copepods or water temperature or damsels. It's all those trout, schooled up and scratching their heads with a pectoral fin.

FRSam
09-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Hey Jay I fished Davis yesterday and took five fish on a prince nymph. Fish were consistently working the surface from 8:00am to 10:00am on either blood midges or possibly boatsmen. I tried both but didn't have any luck. I didn't see any callibaetis or damsel nymphs other than a few adult damsels.

No size to any of the fish - 14 to 16 inches but they were surprisingly clean of parasites.

You can see the wings of the prince nymph in this picture...
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/P1010228.jpg

Water temps were good - 63 to 64 degrees.

I walked the shore for some distance looking for signs of life and the only thing I came across were a few #16 / #18 boatsmen and that was pretty much it.

I sure miss hooking into those big boys - the number of twenty inch plus fish I've taken this year out of Davis I could count on one hand and that's not good. But I still enjoy being out on the lake with all the wildlife activity so I'll keep fishing it.

If it should start producing those pigs most of us are used to I will post and tell all sometime next year... ;-)

Pete