PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hair

NCL
08-30-2010, 09:30 AM
This probably a stupid question but I have never been accused of not asking a stupid question so here goes. Is there a difference between deer body hair and Premo deer hair? I am looking at tying a skating muddler and the recipe calls for premo deer hair but I have deer body and elk body hair. I don't want to add more materials to my already overflowing supplies. My research doesn't answer the question so if I have to buy premo deer hair then I will.

Hairstacker
08-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Is there a difference between deer body hair and premo deer hair? I don't think so but that's just my opinion. When I've bought premo deer hair, I've had to go through the pieces just like I do with any other deer hair I buy to make sure they will work for the application I have in mind. Even with the premo strips, I have found a few that had hair that was too short. I've also noticed they're not cut in consistent directions across the hide.

If I were you, I would just use the body hair you have if it looks like it will suit the purpose.

Darian
08-30-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm with Mike (Hairstacker) on this one.... :nod: If you do decide to buy, make sure you pick the best of the lot available and do your thing. :D :D

NCL
08-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Mike and Darian

Thanks to both of you guys, you confirmed what I already thought was true.

Mike O
09-14-2010, 03:26 PM
I like antelope for spinning.

Fats
09-18-2010, 11:38 AM
I like antelope for spinning.

Antelope spins really well but all the fibers I've seen are really fragile. My friend had a whole hide and he couldn't give any of it away. It may have been a bad hide... I've never felt the need to go back.

Deer hair like any natural product will vary. It pays to paw through the stuff to get the material you want.

NCL
09-19-2010, 05:25 AM
I never thought about using antelope hair. Both my brothers live in Wyoming and they usually get an antelope evey year. I will have to ask them for a piece of the hide.