PDA

View Full Version : Non-flyfishing Delta Report

Hairstacker
08-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Well, I haven't reported here much this summer, as my youngest daughter just turned 3 and I've been working on her indoctrination (which is, as you all know, a very serious matter). She can now look at pictures and name the trouts and many of the warmwater species but I felt a driving need to get her on the water. So, I did some legwork to find the perfect venue that is safe, relatively near, simple, and would get her into a lot of action on decent-sized fish. I think I found it -- baitfishing for catfish on the Delta:

This is a typical-sized one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF1660.jpg

Every so often, you'll get into a bigger one. This one caused her to take a step forward while she was reeling it in and exclaim, "oooo, oooo, it's pulling so hard daddy!!" (Music to my ears.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF1663.jpg

It doesn't get any better than this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF1662.jpg

Alas, all good things must come to an end:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF1667.jpg

We've gone now more than a 1/2 dozen times, and she's always pestering me to go again. :D The action at times is almost non-stop. I also found one of the keys to a good trip is to make sure to bring plenty of cookies. Yeah, it's not flyfishing but it is a great way to get your little one into 'em if you're wondering where and how.

k.hanley
08-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Well done Mike. Love the smiles! Just being outside with your daughter is really the best reward for any Dad-- the catchin' is a bonus for sure.
Cheers, Ken

Tony Buzolich
08-29-2010, 12:30 PM
What a cutie! And she's only three? That's a perfect age to get them going on the things you want them to learn and be a part of when they get older.

I'm expecting my first grandson this November and whenever I see a little one I ask my wife "How old is he?" or "How old is she?" or "What age do you think?" etc,.etc. You get the idea.

I really guess what I'm asking is will I be too old to take my grandkids out when they're three or five or whatever? Becoming a grandparent allows you to re-do some of the things over again that you wish you had done with your kids the first time around.

If I could do it all over again I'd take my kids fishing and camping and hunting twice as much as I did before. Get it ingrained in them about the outdoors. Let them learn everything there is about nature and get them outside off the TV and computor.

Mike, you've already got her locked in to doing things with dad. Keep up the good work,

TONY

Darian
08-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Hey Mike,.... great pic's. Your daughter's a real cutie (and a good fisherperson, too). That water looks like it'd be good for sunnies, too. You just might have a buddy 'til she finds out about boys.... :lol:

Tony,.... It's never too late to begin to do things you haven't done enough of. Remember what W. C. Fields once said, "too much of a good thing is wonderful." :nod: :nod:

BillB
08-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Nice Hairstacker! Bet most of us started with bait and Mr. Whiskers.

I have been blessed with daughters too. Wouldn't change it for anything! They are perfect, and can fly fish too! Now I've been blessed with grandsons in addition. We have already been to several different lakes with Power Ranger and Superman rods. Great gear! Look out Sage!

Tony the "redo" thing is as it should be. After all, when we stop growing it's all down hill. To old to take him/her out . . . never! Enjoy.

Ed Wahl
08-29-2010, 08:50 PM
She's a cutie Mike.

You've taken a sound strategy there. Most of us started out simply fishing and the rest just happened.

I'm looking forward to some more of these NFF posts.

Ed

joshfish
08-29-2010, 08:58 PM
living in redding i have so much fishing in so many places. the one thing i dont have and miss is good catfishing. i loved catfishing the delta. as a kid my parents took me fishing all the time. now that i have kids of my own i enjoy taking them fishing but i would love to get down to the delta and take them catfishing.

mar
08-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Very nice!!!! Hanging out and fishing with the kids is always a special treat. It doesn't hurt to sweeten the deal with some cookies either :-) Thanks for sharing Hairstacker!!

DFrink
08-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Very cool. I already have a little pole like that one for my son and he's only 15 months old! Looks like fun.

Dan