PDA

View Full Version : A great time at Pleasant Valley Preserve

Jeff Putnam
08-28-2010, 03:55 PM
I just finished a two day shoot for my next dvd on trout fishing techniques at Pleasant Valley Fly Fishing Preserve near Markleeville. Had some incredible dry fly fishing while sight casting to trout that averaged 14-18 inches. Rising trout, virtually all day long, made for some great film footage. The preserve offers something for all skill levels. I travel many hours by plane and car all over the Western US searching for this type of fly fishing... sight casting to rising trout! Thanks to Jim Crouse, Don and Liz Weirauch for the help, guiding and great overall experience. I cant wait to go back. Next year I'll put together a trout school through Kiene's. JP

Darian
08-29-2010, 01:45 PM
I was fortunate enough to've fished the valley before it was closed to public access. It was very good fishing then and has only benefited as a private property.... I fished it last summer and found some great dry fly fishing as well as some of the most beautiful scenery around. Challenging water in mid to late summer with some large Trout.

The owners manage access very well and, IMHO, it's worth expense to fish there.

It'd be really interesting to attend a Trout school taught by Jeff up there.... :D :D

bigfly
08-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Jeff's video should be well worth a watch.
A client invited me to fish PV near Markleville over the weekend.
I'd not fished it before, and a break from the Truckee was in order.
Even with very-high winds it was a beautiful piece of water to fish.
Enough for a day of continuous hit and run fishing.
Quiet, and really fine, high country scenery.
Water has dropped to fall flows, 54 deg, the fish are feeding.
Strong, happy, and healthy.
Caught a few, missed a few.. first drift has the best odds over these fish.
The planets aligned, landed one bow (classic last cast) 23-24". He put on quite an air show. A wanabe steelhead.
Looking forward to going back.

Jim

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-30-2010, 10:46 PM
We use to fish it before it was private and planted with big fish.

I always hear good things from people who fish here.

http://alpine-flyfishing.com/

It is close to Sacramento being near Markleville.

I beleive it is $95.00 days per angler.

Dan L
09-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Pleasant Valley is an exceptional place in the High Sierras. Every fly fisherman should fish it and experience it at least once. I spoke with Jimmy, the preserve manager, and it was open this Sat., Sept. 4th. Avoid the crowds and fish in solitude at Pleasant Valley this busy holiday week end.

Thanks
Dan Liechty

gilligan
09-02-2010, 07:07 PM
What a great place. When I was younger, I used to fish it when it was public. It was pretty good back then also. I guess people trashed the campground up and things and ruined it for everyone else. First place I can remember drinking a beer with my brother was there . Great dry fly fishing in the evenings, hell, I didn’t even know what an indicator was back then. Lot’s of great memories.

www.gilligansguideservice.com
www.gilligansguideservice.blogspot.com

Jed Peters
09-08-2010, 02:23 PM
It's my understanding that the catch numbers on this fishery are usually low, and fishing is very difficult. Is this the case?

Would one be better off going to the carson or the east walker for higher catch numbers and no money expended?

Darian
09-08-2010, 08:08 PM
This is a fairly small stream set in a high mountain meadow featuring some fast, rocky stretches and some slower, alcohol clear water. Entirely catch & release there. Difficult fishery :?: The meadow stretches probably are but the cascade sections aren't overly difficult or technical. I'm no expert and I've raised a couple of 20" plus rainbows in the slower water on dries. Caught many fish in the rocky, faster water.... :smirk:

If cost is a concern for you, then by all means go to the East Carson. Larger water but fairly similar in make-up. Longer river to fish. Some larger fish for those who don't mind a short hike. The surroundings are much more open but equally as beautiful. Take your pick and have a great time. :D :D

Dan L
09-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Jed,

In regard to catch rate, I would say it would be, on the average better at Pleasant Valley. Both the Carson and the E Waker are high traffic fisheries. Both are challenging with fall's low water condtions. If it happens to be a busy day it can be frustrating as there are only so many fishable holes at this time of the year. At PV at least you are guaranteed good fishable water with fish.

I've guided on all three waters, East Carson, East Walker, and Pleasant Valley"which I still guide at" and love them all. If you pay attention to details, stay low, and make long casts you will have a great time at PV.

Thanks
Dan

Jed Peters
09-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Well today was fun! Missed more than the 2 I caught....that place is an exercise in frustration I tell ya!

The place is an aquarium!!!!

Great hard fighting trout. The were taking size 22 midge and a parachute Adams...16.

I gotta get back there and NOT get on the water at 12 and off by 4:30...darn family!!!!