PDA

View Full Version : Big Steelhead at Watt Avenue right now!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Mike McCune and I were on the Lower American River at a very secret location this evening trying out some new Spey rods when Mike hooked this monster below.

We had on several other that were even bigger but they broke off our 6x tippet. Next time I am moving up to 5x with an Orvis knot for those large wild summer runs.

I got spooled on one that did not break me off with nearly 300 years of 30# backing??? I am going to 400 yards of 50# Gel-spun now that the big ones are finally in here. I guess I need a large fly reel with one of those radiators on it to cool the drag?

They seem to be feeding on small #18 female three winged caddis that were emerging near the willows. I got some samples so we can really match the hatch next time.

As I took the picture of Mike's fish a mountain lion was above us in a big tree. Luckily Frank Pullen was there with his 9 m/m and shot it between the eyes saving us both. I told the game warden who was on the spot that it was self defence or something to that effect.

As we revived it and turned it loose a sea-lion got it just before a bald eagle had it's talons in it. Wow it was wild down there tonight.......

Why go to British Columbia when you can catch large Steelhead right here in Sacramento?

David Lee
08-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Not clear about what you're on right now Bill ..... but I'll take a $30.00 bag of it .

D.~

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Hi David

I think one of my partially blocked main arteries just flushed open and all this blood is going to my old brain. It's some kind of a un-natural high?

Not sure if this really happened or maybe it was a dream?

That old Watt Avenue came through again.........

aaron
08-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Luckily Frank Pullen was there with his 9 m/m and shot it between the eyes saving us both.

Don't you remember what happened last time you reminisced about him online Bill? :D

STEELIES/26c3
08-28-2010, 01:37 AM
That's too funny~

SKAJIT River steelie if you open your eyes and read the photo title...

though i think it should be SkaGit...

My buddy actually got a 6# chrome hen on the A today so the title had me thinkin' he'd been one-upped but so not the case...

Bifecta time o da year right now~:) and in October t'will be Trifecta

M

Mark Kranhold
08-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Great story, that water almost looks like the clay area at watt. I got one that was about 5 lbs bigger last nite. Had it right to my feet and out of no where 125lb stripper sucked it in and that was that. I'm taking my ocean rod down there next time.

Steelie-Stalker
08-29-2010, 12:42 AM
I decided to venture up river and got into a few chrome bright salmon in folsom lake. They seemed to like a sz. 16 elk hair caddis.

David Lee
08-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Hi David

I think one of my partially blocked main arteries just flushed open and all this blood is going to my old brain. It's some kind of a un-natural high?

Not sure if this really happened or maybe it was a dream?

Boss -

You need to get everything un-blocked , so you can stick around and tell us stories until you're 90 or thereabouts .

I once lost an 18 inch Steelie to a Stripe well over 50 Lbs. on the A. ...... and have caught chrome bright King Salmon (out of a float tube) in Folsom lake . Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes ....

D.~

Hairstacker
08-29-2010, 10:30 AM
I bought a float tube once from a fella in Sacramento who told me he bought his boat specifically so he could chase kings in Folsom Lake. He wasn't kidding.

BillB
08-29-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm beginning to think this is all made up!

Darian
08-29-2010, 09:01 PM
BillB,.... It helps if you try some Irish medicine before trying to follow this thread. I recommend a shot of Bushmills, Single Malt in a snifter (no ice). :nod: I'm fairly sure that's what Bill was doing before he started this thing off.... :wink:

BillB
08-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Either Bill was doing that from a snifter or, more likely, he had one of those beer can hat "hydrators" filled with Remy Martin VSOP!

Frank Alessio
08-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Bill ...You are not all that clear, You did not mention the White Buffalo near the Coke machine....You gotta come clean... Frank

tacocat
08-31-2010, 12:02 AM
As I took the picture of Mike's fish a mountain lion was above us in a big tree. Luckily Frank Pullen was there with his 9 m/m and shot it between the eyes saving us both. I told the game warden who was on the spot that it was self defence or something to that effect.

You should have ridden the mountain lion back into town. It would have dropped you off close to White Castle.

aaron
08-31-2010, 11:02 PM
^^Quality first post :D