PDA

View Full Version : Upper Little Truckee fishing?

Keith Kaneko
08-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Just curious if anyone knows anything about fishing the Upper Little Truckee that flows along Hwy. 89 north of Truckee... On my way to Lake Davis, I always noticed how beautiful that stretch of river is. I may be fishing one of the local lakes off of Hwy. 89 next week and just wondering if I should fish this section of river too. Thanks in advance for your comments...

Keith

Ralph
08-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Gets wormed hard early in the season. Most of the flow is diverted to Sierra Valley leaving the river vulnerable to severe oxygen depletion due to warming. Best fishing is early in the season and below the Independence Lake tributary. They used to stock it with wind up fish at the hwy 89 crossing and at Hennese Pass. I don't know if they still do - mortality was pretty high. Pretty water.

jayclarkflyfishing
08-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Keith-
Ralph is correct that the upper LT gets very low and warm due to diversions by the Sierra Valley Water Co.Right now the flows are exceptionally low above Independence Creek.Below the creek flows are a little better as flows from Independence Creek have been raised to help with the Kokanee spawning run.In the spring there can be some nice trout that come up from Stampede to spawn.The river used to be stocked but I am unsure if that is still the case.

On another note there is a major restoration project underway in Perazzo Meadows to help restore the upper LT.

Jay

Frank R. Pisciotta
08-27-2010, 07:53 AM
I fully agree with Ralph's assessment. I would emphasize that the a decades-old "gentleman's agreement" :eek: of diverting water to Sierra Valley at the small diversion dam along Henness Pass Road (aka Fiberboard Road)
definitively plays havoc with the fishery, whether planted or wild.

Currently the LT in the Perazzo Meadows area is being restored to its historical flow channel via "plug & pool" conducted by the USFS. I believe there is both state & federal funding for this on-going project and there are numerous groups endorsing/participating.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Keith Kaneko
08-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Jay and Ralph... thanks for the comments and heads-up about the conditions. It is late-summer now, so I should have remembered that Sierra rivers get low and warm this time of the year. I will forgo fishing the L. Truckee and just "troll" the lake with Dad. Much appreciated.

Keith