PDA

View Full Version : Flow on Lower Yuba River finally coming down

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-26-2010, 09:31 PM
I was talking on the phone today with Tony up at the Nevada City Angler. He said the river was going to be dropping about 200 cfs a day now for 6 days.

It is now around 2,250 cfs and in a week it will be at around 1,000 cfs.

That will make it very wadable (sp).

Tracy Chimenti
08-27-2010, 11:56 AM
... And brace ourselves for stripers in the lower feather!!!

Tony Buzolich
08-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Tracy,

I just fished the lower Yuba this morning and got two, a squawfish and a small bass. Nothing worth bragging about. The water is very clear even out into the Feather for quite a ways. The problem here is the temperature at the mouth is 56 degrees. That's a bit cold for the stripers. If you move a short ways into the Feather the temperature jumps to 66 degrees.

With the clear water I thought a natural colored fly would do the trick,:) they liked red and white! Go figure?
TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-27-2010, 09:38 PM
What about salmon Tony? at the mouth of the Yuba?

Tony Buzolich
08-28-2010, 06:22 AM
Bill,
The most salmon I've seen have been in the coldwater side of the Feather at the mouth of the Yuba. There's a slot that hugs the east side below the mouth that stays deep for almost a half mile. Lots of holes and snags here too.

I fished the upper river the day before and the water is moving too fast and deep to wade safely. I stopped off at the hatchery in Oroville and the river is loaded with salmon at the dam waiting for the ladder to open on Sept.15th. Lots of bright fish.

I'll be glad when the salmon season closes on the Feather so I can get back to chasing stripers without so much boat traffic. Every parking lot at every ramp is packed solid every day.
TONY