PDA

View Full Version : NFF..But Snakes...

BobVP
08-26-2010, 07:55 AM
The only thing this has to do with FF is that I did see a lot of small fry in the SF Eel over the last few days....fish for 2012!

I took my Belgian cousins for a trip to the north (Ave. of the Giants, Eel river, etc). I decided to take them to one of my favorite swimming spots on the SF Eel, Smithe Redwoods @ Dora Creek, just south of Confusion Hill. Perfect time and place for a swim.

The water wasn't "filled" with snakes but we did count more than 15 in that little area. They looked to be both garder and gopher snakes. Merrily (if you can imagine a snake being merry...) swimming along from rock to rock and back to shore. I have been on this river and a couple of other coastal rivers when the eels are running so thick they climbed the oars, but I have never seen so any snakes "swimming"! Maybe they were just trying to cool off too....

Just to top it off, my cousin was walking back to the car and spotted a small rattler at the base of a redwood. Maybe 26-28". He got a good photo......then promptly told me he was never coming back! (He was kidding, they loved it here)

While I am at it: Thanks for the suggestions for places to stay outside Yosemite. They stayed in the one suggested here by two of you and they loved it.