PDA

View Full Version : Meiss Meadow Hike

Sam Norris
08-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Wanting to hike in to Meiss from Hwy 88 with some friends. According to the info I read it is about 4 miles each way. I have two bad knees and lower back. I alway's use my hiking staffs and will put my gear in my day pack. I was wondering how tough the uphill part is. Any advice appreciated. Leaving next week. Thanks

Ed Wahl
08-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Sam, it's more like 2 miles each way, a little less or more depending on just how far you want to go into the meadow.
The uphill out of the PCT parking lot is pretty mild. It's a little steeper on the Meiss meadow side of the ridge, you can eyeball it from the top and use your best judgement.

Ed

Sam Norris
08-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Ed.

Thanks for the info. Think I will give it a try.

dickwhite
08-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Sam,
I was up that way 2 weeks ago. If you are planning to fish definately head to one of the lakes or further down the Upper T to fish. The flows in the Meiss Meadow section the Upper T are very low and clear with super spooky fish. You might catch one in the meadow if you can stop breathing and don't move for about a 1/2 hour. Earlier in the season my daughter and I were able to catch fish in the meadow, with the higher flows.

Look for some great midge hatches in the Lakes, both early AM or late PM. Here's a pic of a 16" LCT caught on Showers Lake, with a #20 midge pattern. August 10th. Yahoo. This one goes towards my Heritage Trout Cert.

http://www.tahomameadows.com/ShowersLCT.jpg

Tight Lines

Dick White
Innkeeper
Tahoma Meadows B&B

Ed Wahl
08-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Nice fish Dick.

Did you see any larger than that 16?

I'll be packing my toon in to Showers this fall to see what kind of size these guys are attaining.

Ed

Sam, shoot me a pm.

dickwhite
08-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Ed,This was the largest fish we saw on this trip. A float tube would be an advantage to get out in the middle. But the extra weight is almost not worth it. There are plenty of great casting spots on the West and North sides of the lake. I'd take mostly midges for flies. Maybe some hoppers? They seemed to shy away from larger flies.

Heading back up that way with he kiddos at the end of the month to check it out again. Will report again, then.

Here's a river form LCT from the Upper T that we caught in the meadows earlier in July.

http://tahomameadows.com/mm4.JPG

Dick White
Tahoma Meadows B&B

k.hanley
08-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Sam you'll probably love this place. Definately one of my favorites (has been since the mid-70's). Small hoppers, size #12 most always got positive connections. Enjoy!
Cheers, Ken
PS: It's a tremendous arena for crosscountry skiing and snowshoes.

Sam Norris
08-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Dick,

What is the distance and how tough of a hike to Shower Lake? Do the LCT in Meiss Meadow area qualify as Heritage? I amm looking to add to mine. Would I be better off to fish here in the fall or spring after snow melt.? .....Sam

dickwhite
08-22-2010, 02:55 PM
The hike into Showers is around 4+miles from the Carson Pass TH. It's a fairly mild trail as Sierra trails go. The grades are not too steep.

There is another way in from Schneider Cow Camp, half the distance but twice the elevation change and much steeper. This might be the way to go for a day hike in going light. I'd take the longer gentler trail with a heavy pack.

From what I can figure all of the Upper T drainage counts towards the heritage trout cert. There was an article in TU mag which also supported this.

Tight lines.

Dick White
Tahoma Meadows B&B

Sam Norris
08-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. Now I can make plans.

SHigSpeed
09-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Hittin' it tomorrow! Wish me luck... ;)

_SHig

Sam Norris
09-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Let me know how you do. Have a good one..........Sam

jburge
09-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Do the LCT in Meiss Meadow area qualify as Heritage?

Sam,

Yes, they do. As do the LCT in Showers as the lake version for your HTC. Good luck. That's beautiful country.

John

SHigSpeed
09-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Let me know how you do. Have a good one..........Sam

Got at least one in every pool! It was a GORGEOUS day. Need to work on the mountain man skillz tho.

I'll post a thread later.

_SHig