PDA

View Full Version : Albright Products

kelly
08-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Anyone ever use or have any experience with an albright rod or reel? If so what's the verdict? It's my understanding the guy that started the Company is the same that started Reddington.

thepeacockspecial
08-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Hello,

I bought an albright 3 wt last year, and so far... its still in good shape. they also had a reel called the "bugati" which I think is really good for the price they go for. If you plan to buy albright, wait till the end of the year.. they will sell all their 2010 stuff for dirt cheap.

pvsprme
08-18-2010, 04:07 AM
I have two of the GP series rods. 7'-6" in a 3/4 wt and an 8' for 5/6 wt. Great sticks for the $44 each delivered). I bought them for the grandsons, but find myself using them.
A-5 was highly regarded in a 5-wt. shootout at www.Yellowstoneangler.com
Bugatti reel in a 3-4 is ok, worth what I paid ($30 w/ xtra spool on sale). I've heard their better reel is good.

Ffdoc
08-18-2010, 10:43 AM
I bought a spey rod and reel from them last Fall during the sale. I like it but honestly do not have many other data points to compare it and have used it infrequently. They seem hard to beat for the price and cast very well. It got me started spey fishing without having to drop a grand to do so.

My $0.02

Ffdoc

kelly
09-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Looks like Albright is having a sale of up to 70% off. Does this sound like a deal?

Bryan Morgan
09-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Bought an Albright 9ft. 6wt. SW a couple years ago with cloth and case for 169.00. Great back up rod

thepeacockspecial
09-08-2010, 04:48 PM
wait till the end of the year for their closeout sales. ITS ALOT BETTER than the 70% sale.

bclem81
09-21-2010, 06:11 PM
So here is the skinny on SAGE, REDINGTON, ALBRIGHT RODS. Sage was founded in 1980 by legendary rod designer Don Green, and Bruce Kirschner (formerly of K2 Skis). Redington was founded in 1992 by Jim Murphy, this company was known as Bristol Bay rod and fly rod before it became Redington. In the summer of 2003 Sage bought Redington and immediatly fired Jim Murphy. Then Jim Murphy had a plan up his sleeve and Albright Rods was founded in the Sept of 2004. Funny thing is that the same company that Jim Murphy had for making his Redington blanks is now making his albright rod blanks. Same Design too. When Albright first started the Albright EXS was the same rod as the Redington NTIQ (NTI Quarts) this was in 2004/2005, except that the EXS was cosmetically better looking, and less expensive.

One more thing Sage owns Redington, but the blanks are completely different, Sage blanks are made Bainbridge WA, and Redington rods are made in China, also fyi Redington reels are made in Korea. Albright rods and reels are the same as Redington, rods in china reels in korea.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Good reporting Brian

Not to many people know the whole story.

In the middle of all that Jim Murphy sold Redington to Orvis for a while too. That's how Orvis got it's overseas start too.

Real cool scam is to price really cheap stuff at high prices then offer the public 50% off as a base price. That has been fooling the fly fishing public for years now.

Most of the big companies like Orvis, LL Bean, Cabelas and Bass Pro have a "cost of goods sold" of about 20% max. That way they can sell you an overseas product and when it fails they can send you another one no charge. After a while smarter people get tired of the high failure rate and move to better products.

bclem81
09-21-2010, 08:54 PM
That is why Orvis and Redington now have the same drag system and look at lot alike. Look at the mid arbor battenkill and the Rise drag system. they are the exact same. U can actually put the II or III battenkill mid arbor spool on the 5/6 Redington Rise reel, or visa versa. Dont remember which way it was, but quit funny.

oregonsteel
09-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Real cool scam is to price really cheap stuff at high prices then offer the public 50% off as a base price. That has been fooling the fly fishing public for years now.

There is a company WAY WORSE than Albright. There was a company in Northern california that were MASTER ROD BUILDERS. When a River runs through it this company was asked to provide graphite rods that looked like bamboo so Brad Pit could be able to cast these rods.

This company was a first class, super high quality rod company. The company? Powell Rod Company out of CHico. Whether Charles Schwab gained the company legitimitely or not, you can read the Chico News and Review and Powell and decide for yourself.

But my point is Powell rods were made by the Powell master rod builders in their shop in Chico California. They sold the company to Charles Schwab (and the whole Powell family VEHEMENTLY says he scammed them).

NEW Powell (no longer owned by the Powell's) did two things
1) they explicitly and very energeticly advertised that they would be selling these $600 (or whatever Powell USA sold them at retail) and would sell direct at about half price (the price they would be selling them to fly shops.

Sounds good for the customer, right? Well the accidentally forgot to mention that the rods would no longer be made in the US, specifically Northern California, they would be made in CHINA

So customers think they are buying a $600 US MADE rod for $300, but in actuality they are paying $300 for a $250 Chinese made rod (look at Tfo, South Korea, and Echo, China)

Furthermore, they continued the warranty price of a US made rod. It costs approximately $70. TFO, from south korea which is more expensive that China, is only $25. Plus, High end US MADE rods, such as Sage, are only about $50. So they continue to act like the rods are made by master builders in the US (as they were under the powells), including warranty, and instead of having a warranty cost of that around rods built in China, they cost MORE than high end rods (Sage) made in the US!!

Plus, people with Powell rods that are a couple of years old and have been discontinued, when they send in their rod with a broken tip, Powell doesnt have the materials to fix them so they offer to send a new current rod at over $100.

Press Powell and EC Powell

aaron
09-21-2010, 10:03 PM
If there was ever any doubt this was Steve Sullivan ^^^

Hairstacker
09-21-2010, 10:12 PM
I have a couple of models of Albright rods and really like them. I have a couple of Redington rods and really like them too. Some great, reasonably priced rods sold under both brands in my opinion. :cool:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Imported fly rods are running from about $100 to $300 and are a great value.

DFrink
09-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Wow, this is all very interesting to read. I always try to buy U.S. made products. I own 3 Redington rods (actually thought they were made in the U.S.) and really like them. Sure I would love to own a Sage rod, but I paid less for the 3 rods I own than I would have paid for 1 Sage rod. I really can't justify spending that much for a rod that quite honestly probably won't get me any more fish on the end of my line. I'm sure they would be more enjoyable to cast. Since we're discussing, are there any lower priced rods that are made in the U.S. that someone would recommend?

Dan

Lance Gray
09-26-2010, 12:42 AM
I worked for Powell in the hay day. I was there to see the rods shipped to Presidents, Senetors, Rock and Country Stars, Movie Stars and more. The rods were and still are perfect. I own many of them and I mean many. I love them. My problem is if they break I can not replace them. They are more to look at and occasional fish.

There are rod companies out there that have the same pride in workmanship as EC, Walt and Press did. In fact Gene Powell a true EC Powell by name is still buiding bamboo rods in Oroville. Look at Sage, Scott, Winston, Great Bay Rod Company and others..... The craftsmanship is still out there you just have to look.

Lance Gray
530-517-2204
http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Rich Morrison
09-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Lance - I did not know you worked for the Powells...very cool. We should get together and compare notes on our Powell collections...I'm approaching 40 classic Powell rods myself.

If anyone is looking for good quality workmanship in a wide range of rods talk to Jim Clarkson at Raptor Rod Works in Chico. He built rods in the Powell shop for 10 years. He'll build you anything from a Light Touch clone graphite for $300 up to a Preidential model bamboo for $2,500. I own some and routinely give his rods as gifts. My Dad and my best friend both currently fish with Raptor Rod Works products. And if you do break an old Powell - call Jim as he does have a small stock of original Powell blanks..bamboo and graphite. And Jim will reasonably stand behind his work. If you snap the tip off your rod in a car door, he's not going to give you a new rod like some of these big companies...but he'll get your rod back to brand new shape for very little cost. As a matter of fact Press Powell felt the unconditional replacement guarantee was a terrible idea and really hurt the fly rod industry.

Lance Gray
09-27-2010, 12:40 AM
Rich,

I worked for Press and Walt. For about 5 years. Jim Clarkson and I are old friends. Clarkson old shop was next to my manufacture company Saltwater Innovations. I am in the 80 Powell rods, But do not tell my wife. I have EC Powell Rods, Buddy Powell Rods, Walt's Rods and Press's Rods. That is the reason I was looking to purshase or trade for the rods that you had for sale.

In fact this year I received the Press Powell Lifetime Achivement Award from the Chico Area Flyfishers. It was a great honor.

They are great rods.

Lance
530-517-2204
http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

shawn kempkes
09-30-2010, 10:45 AM
So here is the skinny on SAGE, REDINGTON, ALBRIGHT RODS. Sage was founded in 1980 by legendary rod designer Don Green, and Bruce Kirschner (formerly of K2 Skis). Redington was founded in 1992 by Jim Murphy, this company was known as Bristol Bay rod and fly rod before it became Redington. In the summer of 2003 Sage bought Redington and immediatly fired Jim Murphy. Then Jim Murphy had a plan up his sleeve and Albright Rods was founded in the Sept of 2004. Funny thing is that the same company that Jim Murphy had for making his Redington blanks is now making his albright rod blanks. Same Design too. When Albright first started the Albright EXS was the same rod as the Redington NTIQ (NTI Quarts) this was in 2004/2005, except that the EXS was cosmetically better looking, and less expensive.

One more thing Sage owns Redington, but the blanks are completely different, Sage blanks are made Bainbridge WA, and Redington rods are made in China, also fyi Redington reels are made in Korea. Albright rods and reels are the same as Redington, rods in china reels in korea.

Jim Murphy no longer has anything to do with Albright either. He is now the distibutor for Hardy usa. Sage has done alot of tweaking to the redington rods and I dont think they are anything like the rods were when Jim Murphy owned the company. Also Sage,Redington and Rio are owned by Farbank and are operated as separate companies.

shawn kempkes
09-30-2010, 10:47 AM
If there was ever any doubt this was Steve Sullivan ^^^

No doubt its Steve. just dont get him on a rant about waders.

Woodman
09-30-2010, 11:16 AM
As long as we're strolling down memory lane, whatever happened to J. Kennedy Fisher. I have an old 5 weight Presidential that I still take out every so often.

Lance Gray
09-30-2010, 08:25 PM
I still have 8 Fishers, Great rods. I have a 9-10 wt that can lift a small car. If you every want to get rid of it. Just email me.

Lance Gray
530-517-2204
http://lancegrayandcompany.com

kelly
11-28-2010, 10:55 AM
So I truly appreciate everyone's response to the original question; I feel I have definitely learned some history which helps me understand more. So, would you all say Albright is a decent, low priced product or is it junk? I prefer buying American made with the quality it comes with but it's difficult to justify $400 to $800 rods to the wife and why it's important versus an inexpensive rod. Any help is appreciated.

caniretireyet?
11-28-2010, 11:18 AM
I've cast a few and own one. For the money, good stuff. Here's the rub-- I can't help thinking about the thread about the Reno Fly Shop closing when I read this. Buy a Reddington or TFO from Bill, and keep the revenue with the local merchant who supports the community.

Thanks for the chance to add my 2 cents :-|.

Steve

Dan Harrison
12-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Bought the GP 7/8 and 9/10 reels as back up reels because of the huge sale. Well upon one look at the product I had to ship it right back to Albright. Customer service was good, although I am out the 18 dollars for shipping and the 10 to ship it back. The GP reels have a very plastic and cheap, look and feel. This is at the low end of the spectrum of Albright products and I here they do make some very nice reels and rods. I am now going with American made Galvan for my next reels. Much more expensive but you can't take it with you.

OceanSunfish
01-11-2011, 10:41 AM

I missed this thread the first go-around....

I really like the first generation Redington Nti rods that were introduced on or around the year 2K. For pure distance, I still feel the #7 Nti that I owned was the best casting rod I've ever casted.... unfortunately, these rods broke at an incredible rate and I surmise that the ratio of resin and fiber was a formula that was great for weight and power, but not so good for hoop strength.

Anyway, I read that the Albright EXS is the NtiQ..... I have to assume that the NtiQ fared better with regards to breakage but I have no idea how they compared to the Nti.

Anybody have any thoughts.... I suspect that the EXS is only available second hand now.

Scott V
01-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Bought the GP 7/8 and 9/10 reels as back up reels because of the huge sale. Well upon one look at the product I had to ship it right back to Albright. Customer service was good, although I am out the 18 dollars for shipping and the 10 to ship it back. The GP reels have a very plastic and cheap, look and feel. This is at the low end of the spectrum of Albright products and I here they do make some very nice reels and rods. I am now going with American made Galvan for my next reels. Much more expensive but you can't take it with you.

I have (3) 5/6 reels and they have worked great so far and I fish alot, on average 2 times a week in the winter and 3 times a week the rest of the year. To give an opinion without even using the product is not fair to the manufacturer. Just because Galvan costs alot more does not necessarily make it better.

notyalc
01-12-2011, 12:53 PM
I do not recommend Albright rods solely based on their customer service and lack of desire to stand behind their products. I was told by Michael Kahn (the new owner) that the EXS rod has a tendency to break due to a light weight thin wall design. I was told by the company to longer fish the rod and to upgrade. They had no interest in trying to make me a satisfied customer or compensate me for selling a poorly designed product.

Dan Harrison
01-12-2011, 03:26 PM

Ok so I now take back what I said about there good customer service, been three weeks now that they have had there reels back and no refund. Have talked to them three times. (Once a week) They just give me the run around and no refund. I am out $18 for shipping the $10 to send it back and still no refund on the reels. Never again, never again.

Scott V
01-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Sounds like a new owner has taken over the business and is driving it into the ground. When I bought an extra spool and then a month later decided I would rather have another whole reel they sent me the reel for nothing. And I have only bought 2 reels prior to that from then. Bummer, they use to be good people.

Dan Harrison
01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
1/18/2011 and still no refund on the reels, still waiting [-o<

ssy
01-25-2011, 01:53 PM
thats a bunch of bs. i was gonna buy a rod from them, but not now.