PDA

View Full Version : September in Nor Cal

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-17-2010, 10:13 AM
September is the start of our fall fishing. Some fisheries get going now but other are not good till October.

September is the first traditional month for Steelhead in the Northwest. We would try long rivers like the Lower American, Lower Yuba, Lower Feather, Lower Sacramento, Lower Klamath, Lower Trinity, Rogue, Umpqua and Deschutes. Many long free flowing rivers will get a fall run of steelhead.

I recommend fish very early and very late in the day in September's warmer weather trying to fish water that has no sun on it. Going out very early and fishing very late in the day with a mid-day break is my standard routine for late summer/early fall Steelheading. I learned this years ago from veteran steelheader Joe Shirshac.

Some trout streams like the Pit River have an Isonychia mayfly emergence in mid-September which really gets things going too. This can be an all day affair too.

September can be very good for Stripers on the valley rivers before they cool off in the fall.

September can be very good for river Small Mouth Bass too.

September is another good month for early fall top water LMB in the Delta and many other places too.

September is good in the high country because those cool nights at 8,000 feet plus get the trout up and on the banks feeding for winter.

People will fish along the Pacific coast in the tide water of smaller rivers for early run salmon and Sea-run Cutthroat trout in places where it is leagal.