PDA

View Full Version : French Meadows

DFrink
08-16-2010, 03:07 PM
I am going to be camping at French Meadows this weekend, wondered if anyone had any info on good locations to fish from a float tube in the morning. I was planning to fish the dam area, but thought I'd see if anyone had any other ideas.

Dan

SHigSpeed
08-17-2010, 08:14 AM
I am going to be camping at French Meadows this weekend, wondered if anyone had any info on good locations to fish from a float tube in the morning. I was planning to fish the dam area, but thought I'd see if anyone had any other ideas.

Dan

The dam is good when the planters are swarming, however depending on the flow and lake level, the river inlet is a good bet. That lake gets very windy so be aware as to not get blown across! :) I've been told that if you play the wind right, it blows ants out of the trees on the north side and you get a good "hatch" sometimes.

I used to fish that lake a lot as a bait and gear chuckin' young'un and though it was mostly planters, there are some monster browns in there. Last year I fished it soon after the road opened and got a nice 18"er chuckin' at a swirl with a bugger. They're in there... Before sunrise and after sundown for best brownie results.

_SHig

Scott V
08-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Dan, remember always go to where the water comes in and you will find fish. If not it beats being at a desk. Have fun and take plenty of pictures, I have yet to go to French Meadow and would like to see how it looks.

DFrink
08-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys. SHig, I have fished the lake for years as a bait and gear guy as well, this will be a first with the fly rod. Scott, I was having a hard time deciding between the dam and the inlet, I have two mornings so I may try both. I will be fishing from about 6am to 8am (have to get back to camp to help with the little guy). I hooked a nice 12+ rainbow upstream in the river a few weeks back that came off at my feet and slid back into the stream :crybaby:, so I may have to go back for redemption but this float tubing business is just to much fun right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Dan

DFrink
08-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Well I didn't get in as much time on the water as I wanted, but thought I'd share anyways. Saturday morning I fished from 630 to 830 for a total of 3 grabs and none to hand. The lake was beautifull and it was still a good time. I forgot to take my camera so no pic's. Sunday morning I was going to get up, but the temp dropped quite a bit that night and the wife and my son were cold so I didn't want to leave them with even less body heat in the tent and stayed behind. Wierd being in low 30 degree weather in August. We had a great weekend, but I need to get into some fish! I may hit Fuller on thursday, or Milk Lake nearby (if anyone has any info on this lake or any of the numerous others in the area that they want to share send me a pm). Fuller sounds fun, but I'd really like to find some fish with some more size to them.

Dan

michaeln
08-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Fuller sounds fun, but I'd really like to find some fish with some more size to them.

I think your best chance for larger fish at Fuller is to fish with an intermediate or type II line with a bugger or streamer over on the east side where the shore is grassy and there are lots of stumps and downed trees in the water. That's brown city, and I caught one decent brown there in three trips to the lake. I think that area is best early morning before the sun hits the water over there, too.

The west side, inlet and dam area seem to be dink city, lots of troutlings with little sense.

DFrink
08-23-2010, 10:01 AM
If I end up at Fuller I will be there at dark thirty AM and most likely starting out with an I Line using something like a wiggle tail.

Dan

michaeln
08-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Supposed to be hot up there this week, so the very cool water should be very pleasant to tube in. Have a great time!

Scott V
08-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Dan, any chance you can get out next Saturday? PM me if you can.

DFrink
08-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Scott, Wish I could. My wife and I are baby sitting my niece (2 kids in the house for the 1st time). If I make it out alive maybe we can get out some time in the next few weeks.

Dan

Dan, any chance you can get out next Saturday? PM me if you can.

jrief
08-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Good news they did plant mostly 10 inch rainbows, Fished 9a.m. till 2 p.m. with sporadic windy conditions after 11 a.m. They responded nicely to green or cinnamon wooley buggers and were good fighters. I was using camo int. Talked to a friendly guy in a grey outlook and mentioned I was catching the rainbows fairly close to the surface and he mentioned he was catching browns close to the bottom. Ended the day with six to net. We are so lucky to have this little gem of a lake so close by.

michaeln
08-23-2010, 12:43 PM
jrief, were you trolling, or casting & stripping those buggers?

jrief
08-24-2010, 03:52 PM
"jrief, were you trolling, or casting & stripping"

Michael,

I was letting it sink for about a 20 count then stripping back six inches at a time and pausing. Most strikes came on the pause and were pretty close to the top.