PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac Report

Woodman
08-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Fished the Lower Sac yesterday (8/15). Put in at Bonnyview around 1:30 and floated to Balls Ferry. The hot weather created a bit of a circus atmosphere at the boat ramp, with groups embarking on just about anything that would float. A queen size airbed lashed to two cheesy rafts and a cooler of beer seemed to win the bad judgment prize.

Overall, I would say the fishing was only fair. Between two of us we landed between 15 and 20 fish in six hours on the water, but they were surprisingly small fish for the Sac. One good fish about 19", a couple in the 13-14" range, and the rest ranged from smolt sized (literally 3" long) to about 10".

Despite throwing a variety of reliable Lower Sac flies, a size 16 HBI nymph was the ONLY fly that produced. We were on the water until almost 8:00, but no hatch or rising fish materialized.

Heard some better reports form the Posse Grounds stretch, but it was kind of an odd day on the lower river. CDEC shows the flows from keswick dropping from 12,000 to around 10,000 over the last week, which may be part of the problem.

John

P.S. Did I mention I hate jet skis!

Darrin.Deel
08-16-2010, 04:08 PM
good call on the HBI. I ran the Posse Grounds run last night and it was absolutely silly.

Lance Gray
08-16-2010, 07:46 PM
I would not say it was silly on Saturday. Lincoln and I with a gentlemen name Terry fished it. We had a ball. Put in at Bonn ie and got out at Anderson. We ran into hatch, saw few fish working but niothing huge. Hooked some really nice fish, one was a good eighteen in the net. Most of the fish ran 13-17 inches, 3 were below 10 inches. All fat and healthy! All in a great day.
Top fly was my X - May Size 16.
Lance
530-517-2204
http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com