PDA

View Full Version : Davis Fall 2010

michaeln
08-16-2010, 06:52 AM
I've been sitting here wondering about the prospects for Lake Davis this fall. I have never fished it in the fall but from what I have read one of the major attractions in the fall has traditionally been the fish gorging themselves on snails in the shallows, fattening up for winter.

But with all the reports of "no snails" any more it doesn't seem like that will be happening this fall.. I suppose the fish will be fattening themselves on something else though.

Also, do the copepod infestations slack off as the water cools?

What do you experienced Davis guys think about the prospects for the Davis fall fishery this year?

DFrink
08-16-2010, 06:58 AM
I'm interested too. I had high hopes of visiting Davis for the first time this year, but from what I've been reading it's not sounding real desirable.

michaeln
08-16-2010, 07:12 AM
I'm interested too. I had high hopes of visiting Davis for the first time this year, but from what I've been reading it's not sounding real desirable.

IMO, you didn't miss much.

Troutstalker55B
08-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Only time will tell this coming fall at Lake Davis if we will have some decent fishing. Snails or no snails those rainbows still need to eat and fatten up for their long wait under the ice. I hope they come into the skinny water next to the shoreline; there is nothing like standing on the bank and hooking fish without getting your feet wet. When the fish are on the gorge they will take almost anything. I have had great success with wiggle tails in brown and rust with a tiny gold bead in front. Sheeps creek, standard buggers, and blood midges are also a sure bet as well. There will also be the last brood of calibaetis, so pheasant tails and dun patterns should be in your box. If you go there to fish and there are no players in the skinny water, fish the first ledge out at about 8-10 feet of water, Int. lines or fishing a bobber will be the way to go in those depths. I have no idea about the copepods, but have the feeling they are here to stay. Between myself, Little Truckee, and 1flyfisher we will update the board as much as we can since we will be out there in force. Speaking of Eastern Plumas County – Don’t forget about Frenchmans in Nov. in the north lake, it can be red hot.
Jon.

jayclarkflyfishing
08-16-2010, 08:13 AM
I agree with Jon that only time will tell.Last fall was on fire with many big numbers days,but that was last fall.My go to flies in the fall are Sheep Creeks,cinnamon buggers and wiggle tails fished on an intermediate line.Also PT's and midges under a bobber produce very well in the fall.Skinny water fishing is fun,but I mostly fish in 8-10' of water near the creek channels.

As far as the copopods are concerned they were not as bad last fall but they were still present.I expect them to be around this fall.

See you on the water!

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-16-2010, 08:58 AM
October is usually very good on Davis Lake and the fish are less selective.

Actually most lakes fish well in October.

Actually "almost" everything is fishing well in October.

Troutstalker55B
08-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Amen Bill! I can't wait to fish the McCloud with the big bug. There is so much good water to fish both moving and still in the fall - We have it made here in Northern CA.

Jon.

gene goss
08-16-2010, 09:35 AM
With the absence of snails the trout still have to eat....last fall i fished Mosquito Slough for a week straight....everyday the temp. of the lake would go down a little, and the trout would move from the shallow bay, a little farther down into Mosquito Slough (50ft.). I killed a couple of fish for dinner, and check out there stomach to see what they were eating, both trout stomachs was pack full with damselfly nymphs. Damselfly complete a life cycle in one or two years, also you have the damsel that hatch from eggs laided this spring in the shallow weed beds. I think the damsels were migrating out to the deeper weed beds for the winter. You have to be CREATIVE....crawdads(wiggle tail in brown, and rust)....Perch fry (punk perch fry) used at Crowley....Damselfly(a little smaller then what you would used in the spring, also you have to fish these on the bottom along side the deeper weed beds). If you are clueless you could get your binoculars out, and spy on the guides. LOL

1flyfisher
08-16-2010, 10:27 AM
They usually dump in some nice fish every fall. 10-12" dinks but also larger brood stock. They did last year and there were nice fish to be caught. The fishing could continue to be shitty or it could be great. Maybe some good planter fishing with a new batch of fiesty clean dinks with a sprinkling of brood stock like last fall. There is no way to predict things for this fall as things have been shaky and out of the norm and not like prior years. But it could pick up. Keep your fingers crossed. Fall will tell what sort of holdovers are around. If I am catching 20"+ fish with parasites than they still existed in the lake all summer and just didn't come in enmasse due to lack of damsels. They can be finicky on the damsels. I have seen plenty of days over the years where the hatch was light and the fish didn't come in and work them. Some days they stay home. Maybe they just stayed home this summer? That's my most positive take and most positive spin I can put on it. But then again I've never seen such a lack of holdovers for an entire summer. Normally if I have been catching nice quality 20"+ fish all summer(and that's usually the case) in good numbers then I can say with confidence that we will have a great fall. That hasn't been the case for me this summer. I gauge what I can expect for the fall by what I do all summer. So I am not expecting much but will keep a positive outlook. I'll just see how things play out and what sort of fish show up. Whether they are 10-12" dinks or shiny bright davis lake 20"hogs. If davis is still shitty I will go elsewhere.

Lack of snails is shitty in its own way. It changes things but the fish should cruise and will put on the feed bag in the fall. IF there are good numbers of holdover fish they will work in the fall even though they were missing in action this summer. If they are still in there they have to work and expose themselves and get caught sooner or later. They can't hide forever,,,,although IF they haven't died off or gotten caught and yanked out they have been doing a damn good job of it so far. Even though the fish were eating snails they would grab most any bugs. A small woolly bugger would catch fish as well as a snail pattern. I mostly stripped streamers. The snail die off should not prevent quality fall fishing at davis in the future. It just sucks that there aren't snails. It sucks that there won't be snails and fish surfacing on them and fattening up on them but If there are quality fish there will be quality fishing.

Parasites,,,They may be around for a while, hopefully higher water will help. One fish transfers them to another. They may die off when the infected fish die off. Hard to predict. Only time will tell on this issue also. If you catch clean fish this fall they may be recent planters. Next summer will be the time we see what is going on with the parasites. Over the winter the fish will school up and spread them from one to another. If there are a lot of fish with the parasites next summer than they are probably going to be with us for a while.

FRSam
08-17-2010, 09:03 PM
I've been out on Davis recently and the water temps have dropped significantly. We're now seeing surface temps in the sixty's. I've had good early morning top water action and days when no fish showed at all.

The size is still in the 14 to 16 inch range with the occasional 18 incher. And the parasites are doing just fine - I haven't noticed any decline in their numbers unfortunately.

I continue to fish the lake because it's so close by and it gives me a reason to take the boat and the dog out. That and you never know...you may just hook into that 6 or 8 pound rainbow.

But I must admit if I lived in Sac or even Reno I'd be very hesitant about making the trip the way it's fished this year.

Hopefully this fall we'll see a change...

Pete

1flyfisher
08-18-2010, 10:13 AM
It's an hour drive for me so I am right on the cusp of whether I should go or not,,, or go elsewhere, especially right now aug. I will definitely fish it a few times this fall and scope things out.
Cow creek was a grave yard, so was freeman, fugawee all summer. There is usually good numbers cruising cow area in the fall, but they weren't there this summer porpoising around and rising. Maybe that will change and some fish show up.

I talked to an older guy I know yesterday on the phone and he asked me about davis as he had family issues and wasn't able to make it from menocino county all the way to davis this year and hook up with me. We were talking about how we would always see fish right there off cow point and in the cove of cow cruising and working in the am before the damsel hatch. I had to give him A LOT of bad news unfortunately. Hopefully next summer will be better. I am not expecting much this fall. Maybe they will drop in some brood stock and that might kick things up a notch.

I have plans to go elsewhere and some more duck hunting this fall. Too much better opportunities if the bulk of what I am catching @ davis is 14" fish covered with parasites.

michaeln
08-18-2010, 10:21 AM
I figure it must be pretty dead at Davis, Don Rotsma hasn't updated his Davis fishing report page since July 23rd.

http://www.flyfishwithdon.com/fishreport.htm

If there was anything good to report, I think he'd post it.

gene goss
08-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Does anyone know the water temp. for the South end of Davis Lake, and the North end????.....OK so fishing going to be a little tough at Davis Lake this fall...i think we all got a little spoiled at Davis Lake, with all the put and take trout that was planted....i had way to many best ever days at Davis...BUT...Davis Lake wasn't a easy lake to fish before they poison the lake...also they need to plant some small trout 4 to 6 inches...so they will spend a longer time growing up in the lake....a trout growing up in Davis Lake for 3 or 4 years will act a lot differen then a trout plant last year....I'm planning on being there for a week this fall looking for a toad.