PDA

View Full Version : Triploid Rainbows

gene goss
08-13-2010, 08:07 AM
I just read a fishing report form Sierra Driffers about DFG planting triploid rainbows into Crowley Lake this year.....triploid are sterile trout that don't spawn, they just eat and get bigger every year.....at Davis Lake we lose a lot of spawning trout in the small rivlets of water from the snow run off into the lake.....NOW if we could get DFG to plant some Eagle Lake triploids into Davis Lake....they could feed on all those crawdads....and in 3 years we could have 10-15lbs trout....what do you think???????

Troutstalker55B
08-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Gene,

That's the best idea I have heard in a long time. I would Like to see Lake Davis closed just like Eagle Lake as well - There are some really good ice fishers out there who can make a dent, and you won't have bucket hogs parked at Grasshopper cove. Thanks for sharing.

Jon.

Scott V
08-13-2010, 09:37 AM
If the fish are sterile, do they still attempt to spawn? If they still attempt to spawn would we still not lose them to the creeks that they get stuck in?

Darian
08-13-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm a bit confused here.... :confused: What's a "....bucket hog" and what does making a dent really mean :?: :?: :?:

Does the term "bucket hog" describe illegal fishing activity or simply licensed ice fishers who catch Trout thru the ice and keep a limit in the bucket :?: If that legal activity makes "....a dent,....", so what :?: :?: Unless there's something illegal involved, objecting to it appears to become an ethical judgement that borders on saying anything other than fly fishing is somehow beneath our lofty perch. Can we fly fish thru the ice :?: Is it fly fishing if we aren't casting the fly :?: If the answer is no, does it require our condemnation :?: I'm wondering how this rose to the level of, "another example of a select few that have to be selfish opportunists and have a negative impact on a fishery" :?:

Difficult to determine any of that from the post by Troutstalker55B without jumping to conclusions. :confused:

Sorry guys.... I guess I'm just getting grumpy.... :\\

1flyfisher
08-13-2010, 11:47 AM
I have no problem with ice fishing.

I wish the lake was catch and release or 2 fish limit per day with max 4 like eagle.

I don't like seeing people yanking ten fish out of there or any where per person. That is way too many fish but it is legal.
A lot of people fish for their "limit" and get them and kill the trout. A group of 3-4 trollers yanks out 30-40 fish per boat. That hurts the fishery. That is a lot of the reason you don't see 10 lbers much. They get killed off. If it was catch and release, holy crap davis would be insanely good.

1flyfisher
08-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Yeah we wouldn't want to jump to conclusions? ;-)

Difficult to determine any of that from the post by Troutstalker55B without jumping to conclusions. :confused:

:\\

1flyfisher
08-13-2010, 11:57 AM
I am not sure. But I think even if the fish are sterile they would still try to spawn?
I don't think sterilization would affect the desire to spawn? Just the ability to reproduce???

Triploid? I say back up the truck to davis and martis. I will take anything right now. Davis used to have all sorts of trout. Mostly generics but colemans, kamloops, eagles, browns, brookies.
I would like to see a few loads of browns thrown in to mop up the crawdads and baby catfish.
And a load or two of eagles would be good to.

Troutstalker55B
08-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Darian,

Let me introduce myself, My name is Jon Baiocchi and I'm sorry if I offended you with my post. You may know my Dad and the huge positive impacts and victories he has had on California fisheries for the last 40 years. We care so very much for Lake Davis and the anglers who ply her waters. We have worked with the Forest Service and have made improvements to Honker Cove (home of the famous fish cleaning station), Camp 5 Road, Camp 5 boat launch, the new Jenkins Road (picnic tables and a restroom to be there soon!), and the next phase is upgrading Lightning Tree. We LOVE that lake and our work shows.

I'll be honest here, the fishery is not what it used to be and I just want it back to where it was - bug life and all. My comment on ice fishing is just a personal opinion. I think I would like to try it though! Hey 1flyfhisher, lets make this happen, I got all the gear to get you out there on the ice. I do think the lake needs to be closed when the spawners are in the coves and creeks, and this brings us to the bucket hog portal. I have seen people with nets just start at the cove and go up the creek, and scoop them up and sack em. The last great warden on that lake went by the name of Danny, he used to glass these "netters" from the middle of the lake and come screaming in and fully bust them. It was a sight to see. Another kind of bucket hog is an angler, fly, lure, or bait who stands over the pod of rainbows that are staging their run up the snow melt creeks, and hooks 20-40 fish in a 6 hour period. They work it, they guard their little honey hole, and most fish are taken for the freezer.

Well there you go D, if your still grumpy I'll take you out on the lake in my boat. I'll make you smile, and make sure you have a great time at Lake Davis!

Jon (some people call me Butter as well)

Darian
08-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Hmmm,.... My point was that conclusions drawn from fuzzy statements by others are often misinterpreted or incorrect and makes for an equally fuzzy response. :| For example:

"....we are, despite what we want to believe, not civilized enough as a whole to live without rules/laws, specifically regarding excess...."

"For some reason, people look for laws/rules first as their guideline as to how far to push or exceed, instead of simply doing what is right."

These two statements from your post appear to be in conflict; not much but just enough.

The first says that we need laws and rules to provide order. However, the second apears to say that we should ignore the limits set by law and simply do what is right. This latter part is where problems occur. The right thing for me and many others I suspect is different then for you and many others. For example, if the limit is 10 Trout of any size in a specified body of water is the right thing to do to keep all of the fish caught up to an including the limit, release all or keep 5, etc. :?: Is it different between native Trout and hatchery Trout :?: If you cacth/keep your limit, do you stop fishing or continue to fish using C&R techniques :?: I'm sure you'd get a number of varying response from everyone on this BB if they were asked these questions. Oh well,.... This could go on forever and resolve nothing.... :nod:]

The problem with generalizations is that they don't mean the same thing to everyone who hears them. ](*,)

Darian
08-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Jon,.... Believe it or not, I wasn't offended by your post as much as confused by the statements.... My response to OC was an attempt to show how things can get confused by using generalities about this stuff.... I don't really have a dog in this hunt and don't really care much about Davis Lake. I am curious why there's been no call for restocking of Black Bass in Davis along with the call for stocking of triploids??? And, now, I'm done with this.... :D

gene goss
08-13-2010, 02:45 PM
If the fish are sterile, do they still attempt to spawn? If they still attempt to spawn would we still not lose them to the creeks that they get stuck in?

Hey Scott....thats a good question...here's a web. site with some info. http://wildlife.utah.gov/fes/pdf/vol_12-1.pdf
http://www.californiafishingguide.com/trout_history.htm
After reading the article from the Utah...I'm not sure...but what they did say was that they started planting Strawberry Reservoir in Utah in 2001 with triploids.....WOW....i know that Strawberry Reservoir has a great damselflies hatch.

gene goss
08-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Gene,

That's the best idea I have heard in a long time. I would Like to see Lake Davis closed just like Eagle Lake as well - There are some really good ice fishers out there who can make a dent, and you won't have bucket hogs parked at Grasshopper cove. Thanks for sharing.

Jon.

I don't think the ice fishers could get a 30lbs trout through the little hole...LOL http://www.californiafishingguide.com/trout_history.htm

1flyfisher
08-13-2010, 08:05 PM
The ice fishers take limits of 10 fish. So do the trollers. This is the current limit.
I think it needs to be reduced to a level where CADFG can restock the lake. Right now I know CA is bankrupt. I don't know what CADFG resources are and how much stocking they can do. But I imagine they can not stock every lake enough to create quality fishing.

I am for catch and release on davis and most other lakes but I am OK with a few fish being killed and eaten.
2 a day makes sense to me. 4 fish limit.
Just like eagle.

davis is hurting. The fishery isn't close to what it was in the past. Parasite covered dinks and the snails are gone.

They dropped fish in after the rotenone and people were going gaga over planters. But the lake isn't even close to what it once was.

I am all for a much more limited take.
And there are too many people fishing the creeks killing fish.

I don't think the ice fishers could get a 30lbs trout through the little hole...LOL http://www.californiafishingguide.com/trout_history.htm

jayclarkflyfishing
08-14-2010, 09:01 AM
The bag limit for trout in Davis is 5 fish per day,10 in possession.Not 10 fish per day.

Jay

1flyfisher
08-14-2010, 12:41 PM
It is a 10 fish "OVERALL" limit. Maybe that wasn't made clear. Yes, That's 5 a day and you can take home 10 if you fish 2 days and that is unfortunately exactly what plenty of the folks do at davis. That is why there weren't many fish of decent size around all spring and summer this year. Way too many have been getting yanked out. After the lake got restocked it was a zoo out there with the trollers on the east shore racking it back and forth. Hundred+ boats daily slamming it. Now that the fishing has dropped off the massive numbers of trollers has dwindled. They got their planters and did their damage.
2 fish DAILY limit with 4 in possession would be a much better bag limit for all put and take fisheries IMO. But that is all up to CADFG. They are obviously ok with the 5/10 limits as I figure they would change it if they weren't???????

As far as "Ice Fishing" on davis, the hardware trollers pound the lake even worse. Throughout the winter a few folks do ice fish it and they pound it but the sheer numbers of trollers that are out there(or where out there) far eclipses the number of ice fishing folks. And they kill everything they can get their hands on and in the boat. And what the trollers and bait guys do dump back generally gets mangled and dies as they wrestle their double barbed eagle claw worm hooks out of the fishes throat. A lake that does get badly raped by the "Ice fisherman" even worse than davis is Milton. They snowmobile in and poach it and pound it. No DFG guy is back there all winter and they can just do whatever they want. Shit they poach it bad enough with crawlers in the summer. I've seen it.

There's folks that have a catch and release mentality and folks that have a "Limit" mentality. The conversation goes like this for the limit fisherman...."DID you get your Limit?"...Yeah we limited out"""". That's how they rate the fishing. Anyone who has ever Flipped through a Western Outdoor News or a Fish Sniffer knows what I mean. Whether they (Limit fisherman) are going to eat all those fish or not they are fishing for that limit for the picture and to show their spouse, neighbors etc. It's the christmas tree stringer of fish for the picture. 10 fish is a LOT of fish to be taking home. Now things have slowed down. But when the lake was first stocked and folks were pounding the planters those fish were all going in the coolers. davis has 5/10 for a long time and it was worked ok for the most part. But I think the lake would fish much better and the fish would be bigger and the lake would be a true trophy lake if the take was reduced......5/10 is legal and folks are entitled to do that if they choose. I just think it is a bit greedy and selfish. If the bag limit is reduced I believe we would be catching a lot more of the 22-26" fish,,,,,and bigger!

That's my 2 cents anyway. And No matter what you or I want, CADFG controls all.

Right now the lake is the shittiest I have ever seen it. Me,,,,I'm not ok with that, it pisses me off.](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)

michaeln
08-14-2010, 01:27 PM
I think a lot of the limit fishermen also mistreat the fish after catching them. Run a chain stringer through the gills and let them flop around in the sun until they die, barely covered by 80 degree shallow water. Then six hours later, gut 'em and throw them in a freezer bag, where they sit for several months until they are so freezer burned a buzzard wouldn't eat them, then in the trash.

What a waste.

I note to that the Grizzly Store's most current fishing report says "Fishing has been excellent. It rates four fish, or the best!".

I know those folks' income depends on fishermen, but they are basically lying and trying to get as many people out there to slaughter as many of the remaining pest-infested trout as possible.

The report continues "Limits "PLUS" can be caught!"

1flyfisher
08-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Could you imagine those triploids swirling around on a damsel hatch? Working the shoreline 5 feet from the bank in 3-4 feet of water(I doubt they could swim shallower)I think my 4 weight and 5X might not be enough!:D

Once before the first rotenone 97 I had a salmon sized MASSIVE trout swirl about 25 feet right in front of me on the damsel hatch. Biggest trout I have ever seen swim. The wind was screaming and it was around 2 in the afternoon and I was anchored up in the weed channel and the fish were working strong into the wind along the weed line and this massive hog 30+" swirled right in front of me and I got a full broadside view of it. Threw my bug but no take. That suckers my white whale. I believe it is still in davis waiting for me.

1flyfisher
08-14-2010, 01:45 PM
I have been hearing way to many complaints from pissed off flyfisherman @ davis saying that they have driven 2+ hours based on so and so's false reports hyping the lake. And they aren't just coming from Grizzly Store.

That is why I have been giving fish reports on davis on this website.

I think a lot of the limit fishermen also mistreat the fish after catching them. Run a chain stringer through the gills and let them flop around in the sun until they die, barely covered by 80 degree shallow water. Then six hours later, gut 'em and throw them in a freezer bag, where they sit for several months until they are so freezer burned a buzzard wouldn't eat them, then in the trash.

What a waste.

I note to that the Grizzly Store's most current fishing report says "Fishing has been excellent. It rates four fish, or the best!".

I know those folks' income depends on fishermen, but they are basically lying and trying to get as many people out there to slaughter as many of the remaining pest-infested trout as possible.

The report continues "Limits "PLUS" can be caught!"