PDA

View Full Version : Hat Creek???

Spicytuna1
08-12-2010, 12:35 PM
A good buddy of mine joined up with Wilderness Unlimited and we are heading up to the two different properties that they have along Hat creek. The Bidwell ranch section and another one I am not 100% of where. I have never had an opportunity to fish this river before. Due to all the private land it’s near impossible to find a report. I was hoping someone on here could shed some light for me on what hatches or bugs I should be throwing. I have heard 6x is max you can go, but that’s in the public section where the fish are a little more keen to tackle being tossed at them.

If anyone has any info for me on this piece of water I would greatly appreciate it.

I also just got back from a week in Montana and will post up when I get all the pics dialed in.

michaeln
08-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Have you checked with Steve and Janet Vaughn at Vaughn's Sporting Goods in Burney? They usually know what's going on.

http://www.citlink.net/~vaughnfly/updates.htm

They are real nice folks, too.

Terry Thomas
08-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Fishing the W.U. properties in that area is similar to fishing the area around Old Station. It is small water fishing with your normal dry flies for fast water. Short leaders and 5x should be fine. I am a W.U. member. Send me a pm.
Terry

Randy B
08-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Fished the WU Bidwell Ranch ponds earlier this year and caught some nice fish. Typical stillwater patterns worked, but prince nymphs worked the best.

Spicytuna1
08-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Well we got our A@#$# handed to us by both properties. Upper Hat creek was not designed for 9 foot rods. I have never fished such a tough technical piece of water ever. Did not get into anything over 13” but had fun with some little guys.

As for Bidwell we were not able to pick up any fish, there was one other guy who got into them on a size 18 scud. But we threw the everything at them but the kitchen sink. I was told that due to the heat the fishing would be tough and it was. Sucks for me being a river fisherman I had 0 Stillwater patterns, next time I will have a Stillwater arsenal.

Spicytuna